China--Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China--Smog

Smog just about shuts down city. One report says it is a city of 11,000,000.

Record levels of pollution have shut down the Chinese city of Harbin on Monday. ...euronews, the most watched news channel in EuropeSubscribe for your daily ...

==

So are we to believe our eyes or the "experts" who say that developing countries don't have a significant pollution footprint as compared to the industrial nations?

The environmentalists want the USA, Canada, and Western Europe to meet ever more stringent standards, but China is good to go.
    I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Originally posted by don7031 View Post
      The environmentalists want the USA, Canada, and Western Europe to meet ever more stringent standards, but China is good to go.
      Would you rather we get rid of environmental regulations and become like China?
      "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
        Would you rather we get rid of environmental regulations and become like China?
        I'd like to see China have to adhere to pollution standards at least close to the rest of the developed world and see if they could still undercut the rest of the world on manufactured goods.
        Jim Naden Atlanta, Indiana

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"
        Thomas Sowell

Comment

China is a culture that plays by it's own rules, always has and always will.
          A book fell on my head, and I only have my shelf to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Maynard111 View Post
            I'd like to see China have to adhere to pollution standards at least close to the rest of the developed world and see if they could still undercut the rest of the world on manufactured goods.
            Yep, this was a big issue when world leaders got together for carbon reduction talks a few years ago.

Comment

When did they set which were industrialized nations and which were not... 50 years ago??

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
              I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                When did they set which were industrialized nations and which were not... 50 years ago??
                No kidding. Anyone who lumps China in with "developing countries" is ridiculous. Parts of China can still be called that reasonably, but even from the first time I was there (1996) the change in that country is such it is just silly to think of them as "developing".

My nephew, who lived in Beijing in the early 2000s until he was five, hardly ever went out and they had multiple air purifier systems working. Their doctors recommended he get out of the city as often as possible. My SIL and ex-BIL have a lot of money, had an amazing mulitple story apartment, yet they had to basically take the kid out to resorts along the ocean or the Great Wall for him to spend any actual time outside. When he first came to our cabin in northern WI he was freaked out by being outside, with trees, and actually seeing it get dark. Now he loves it but it was really interesting that first time.

When we took a cruise through the three gorges (absolutely amazing, BTW) one thing that was interesting was the number of coal barges going down the river (open, filled by chutes off the hills). When I asked about this I was told "don't worry, that isn't high quality coal, they only use it in industrial areas". Oh, OK, 'cause pollutants don't travel. Our comments to each other were that the general thinking on pollution there was similar to here in the 50s/60s.

All that said, I will never understand the logic where people want to not take care of our backyard because someone in a different part of the world treats theirs like crap.
                Eff LBD!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol <--- current and on going.
                  I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X