Roughing the passer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughing the passer

The NFL better get a handle on some of these rules and how the refs call a game

I don't have the sound up one TV # 2, but the pocket collapsed around Brees as the Browns blitzed, he was gang tackled just because there was no protection... and they called roughing... horrible call
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Simply proof that they're more interested in protecting the "franchise" quarterbacks than they are the receivers.

Comment

I don't think you can make that case this week... that being said, I do think that is one reason you are seeing these head hunter, launching lead with the helmet hits... the QB's are over protected, and those corners with less skill have to get "dirty" because of the advantage the QB's have...
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by beej View Post
        The NFL better get a handle on some of these rules and how the refs call a game

I don't have the sound up one TV # 2, but the pocket collapsed around Brees as the Browns blitzed, he was gang tackled just because there was no protection... and they called roughing... horrible call
        If you're talking about the one I saw, Brees got smacked in the head. It wasn't a big hit, and I think the rule goes a little overboard -- but it was a penalty by the book.
        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

I had the sound down, but I did see him get hit in the head, but I honestly thought it was his own player? Hard to keep up with everyone while watching two games and the red zone on the third tv

Comment

The rules have become ridiculous regarding the quarterback. They might as well just say that you can't touch the quarterback, ever.
            ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan View Post
              They might as well just say that you can't touch the quarterback, ever.
              That doesn't make any sense.
              No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

The rules are waaaaay too protective of the QB, but if I was in charge and my income was based on TV ratings I would do everything in the world to make sure that Monday night's game featured Peyton Manning rather than Painter.
                Center Grove Trojans
                2008 5A Football State Champs
                2015 6A Football State Champs
                2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
                  That doesn't make any sense.
                  Was it Jack Lambert that said, "Why don't they just put dresses on the quarterbacks?"?

Comment

Originally posted by indybigjohn View Post
                    Was it Jack Lambert that said, "Why don't they just put dresses on the quarterbacks?"?
                    Yes and that very statement was discussed just last night. I too feel that the rules are too lenient towards protecting the quarterback but I also see why as TD pointed out. The NFL likes a high-scoring offensive game and you're not going to get that with second-string, reserve quarterbacks playing.
                    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

No single absence can affect a team and a game like that of a starting quarterback.
                      That and the fact they are the most vulnerable makes them worth protecting.
                      I mean, where would the Bears be without Jay Cutler?
                      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                      ~~Groucho Marx
                      I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X