No announcement yet.

Grocery Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't beat the price and quality of Wal-Mart's "Great Value" brand canned veggies.
    "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Liz View Post
      I've really had to scrimp lately, and have found that Dollar General really has great prices (many times better than Wal-Mart) on a lot of non-grocery staple items like cleaning supplies, toothpaste, etc. Plus I love supporting Sarah's sponsor!
      When the Dollar General store right by me opened up I had never shopped in one and had an impression that they were a low-quality, junk-item thrift store. I was pleasantly surprised when I finally went in there. I regularly go there for non-grocery items such as cleaning supplies, trash bags and the like. The one by me has had a Sarah Fisher cut-out in the front of the store quite often and I always make a comment towards that when I'm there.
      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

We get flyers delivered to our door on Thursday giving the specials for the next seven days at supermarkets, drug stores, hardware stores and the like : these used to be newspaper flyers but the darn papers got so large that the carriers were incapable of lugging the weight on the day when the majority of the flyers were included. I glance through the bulk of the flyers but go through the supermarket specials in detail, especially for non-perishable items. There are a couple of outlets for the major supermarket chains within two or three miles in each direction and their prices are quite competitive so only the specials cause me to change my purchase patten, which generally is to stop at whichever major chain I happen to be passing when we need to purchase items. For eggs, milk, and the like, I often simply pick them up at a corner store a few hundred yards ( or meters if you want to be accurate ) away : egg and milk-marketing boards in my part of the world mean that these staples are basically the same price wherever you shop so there is no need to go to a bigger retailer. We buy national brands for most items though the house brands for one of the bigger national chains are good quality and I will pick up those items depending on prices.

To specifically answer the OP's question as to whether I know the prices of grocery items, I would have to answer "no". I generally assume that prices in the big supermarkets are similar and I shop for specials based on the flyers they distribute but I would not be able to tell you within 25% or so what a good price would be for most individual grocery items, which raises the possibility that every outlet is gouging me equally. Oh, well, just another issue to worry about.
        The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable : John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

On my commute home from work and where I live, I live within a mile and a half of every different chain I could possibly want to shop at. I'm picky on things like milk and bread so I go where what I use is cheapest, and shop the sale of my favourite chain. If there is anything I need or want, I check and see who has it on sale, or go buy it wherever will be cheapest. My mom stayed at home my whole childhood, and to make up for not working made a lot of stuff from scratch and flyer shopped hard because she had the time to.

I buy bread, ketchup, mustard and cranberry juice at Wal-Mart.
          "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

I am lucky in that within a 4 block walk is a small chain store, probably 5 or 6 stores. They generally have stuff that they sell cheaper than the other major chain store that I go to.

Comment

I always look at prices, BUT I have 3 large supermarkets literally across the street from each other, plus a large Wal-Mart down the street that I happen to go to about once a week anyway.

So, it's not much trouble for me to look for the best price.
              "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

There are 2 big grocery chains here plus Walmart, Costco and Sam's.

Here's my grocery shopping strategy: I go to Sam's every 2 weeks and buy as much as I can. Then my wife goes to the grocery store once or twice a week and buys the stuff I can't get at Sam's.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X