Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best songs made up of two different songs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best songs made up of two different songs.

No, not medleys but completed works that are constructed by combining 2 separate works. I can come up with two:

1. 'A Day in the Life' by the Beatles - The sad beginning and orchestral end were written by Lennon, the middle section ''Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head," was a separate song written by McCartney.

2. 'Layla' by Derek and the Dominoes - Clapton wrote the first part of the song with some help from Duane Altman, the second part known as the piano coda was written by drummer Jim Gordon. 10 years later, mental issues caught up with him and he killed his mother with a hammer. He's still in an institution.

Any other examples?

Johnny Cash & Eazy E. Mashup of Folsom Prison:

(some NSFW language, obviously... it's Eazy E, after all)

Comment

This might not qualify the way you're defining it, but it came to mind:

All Summer Long (Kid Rock) = Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon) + Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
      Paul Woods
      IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

Question - Moody Blues
        "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
          1. 'A Day in the Life' by the Beatles - The sad beginning and orchestral end were written by Lennon, the middle section ''Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head," was a separate song written by McCartney.
          As a Beatles nut, I have to do this: it's "woke up, FELL out of bed..."

But yeah, that was absolutely a separate thing that McCartney was working on that was placed into Lennon's song. Both Paul and John often had the other one write the "middle eight" for their respective songs, but this one is the one that sticks out to me as being a pre-written piece that was plugged in.

If you haven't had the chance to hear it, track down the demo version (actually, a composite of demo/pre-overdub versions) of this song from the Anthology albums...starts out with John counting in with "sugarplum fairy sugarplum fairy" instead of 1-2-3-4, and features John and his acoustic guitar (pre-orchestral, so you hear Mal Evans' echo-drenched voice counting off the 24 bars reserved for those overdubs)....it's great. Paul flubs a line in the middle ("everybody spoke and I went into a dream" instead of "somebody...") and curses at himself for doing so.

Martin's recollection of writing the "score" for the orchestral part:

What I did there was to write ... the lowest possible note for each of the instruments in the orchestra. At the end of the twenty-four bars, I wrote the highest note...near a chord of E major. Then I put a squiggly line right through the twenty-four bars, with reference points to tell them roughly what note they should have reached during each bar ... Of course, they all looked at me as though I were completely mad.

Comment

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            ~~Groucho Marx
            I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

You can't bring up Paul McCartney without mentioning this one, can you?

Granted, it's really more of 3 separate songs.

Comment

Paul McCartney & Wings - Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey

​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

And then there's this one:

Comment

Comment

Queen - we will rock you/ we are the champions

​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Comment

"No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" by the Guess Who
                          "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

Comment

Tim McGraw's live version of "Real Good Man" fades into "The Ride". Cool cover. Not sure if it really counts as one song in the same sense, though.

How about "Stairway to Heaven"? It really does feel like three different songs strung together.
                            Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Paranoid Android by Radiohead

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X