From the Only In America File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Only In America File

What's wrong with this picture? http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130654466
    My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Nothing.
    Don't have to pay taxes.
    Don't have to pay debts.

Whatta Country!!!!!!
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

So there will be one less douche bag trying to get rich off religion.

I will still sleep.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by The Church
        "You can't tell us how to run our business"
        The nerve of those vendors wanting to get paid....
        I hate it when people compare Senna with god . . . I mean he is okay, but come on he isn't Senna. . .

Comment

So, "Hour of Power" refers to how much longer the lights will stay on?
          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

That's why they built it of glass.
            Forward thinking.
            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

I see I'm not the only one slightly miffed about this lame BS.
              My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

Question:

Why would anybody loan a church money?

This is why the banks went under. You loan a business or a person money, great. You ask for collateral, you look at the earnings potential, etc.

What do you have here. The "business" is not a business. Its only possible income source is begging. The only collateral is the physical plant of the church, which, while impressive, is really unfit for any other purpose, nothing like taking a mortgage on a house, factory, or office building. What is the bank going to do, sell it to some other preacher?

Comment

Who was their financial advisor, Mike Tyson?

Comment

Now, admittedly having not yet read the link, some of y'all are making a fundamental error here--the assumption that a church cannot be run like a business. Oh, but it can.

A friend of mine in sales showed me a book he swore by called (I think) The 25 Laws of Success, written by a gentleman whose trade was in fact managing churches--evangelical ones from the sound of the book. I don't remember much in the book but the gist of it was, religion functions on "find a need and fill it" as much as any secular business. If a church fulfills the needs of its flock, it will succeed financially; if not, it won't.

Just something to chew on.
                    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                    --Danny Noonan

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                      The "business" is not a business. Its only possible income source is begging.
                      Many would argue that their source of income is 'sales'.
                      Maybe someone could turn it into a club and call it the Christal Cathedral.
                      ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                        Question:

Why would anybody loan a church money?

This is why the banks went under. You loan a business or a person money, great. You ask for collateral, you look at the earnings potential, etc.

What do you have here. The "business" is not a business. Its only possible income source is begging. The only collateral is the physical plant of the church, which, while impressive, is really unfit for any other purpose, nothing like taking a mortgage on a house, factory, or office building. What is the bank going to do, sell it to some other preacher?
                        I've lent many millions of dollars to churches and have never had one go bad. I am currently looking at lending money to another one and can't wait to do it.
                        Center Grove Trojans
                        2008 5A Football State Champs
                        2015 6A Football State Champs
                        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Just in case you would like to know the $ involved, follow the link. It covers all of them..

The Crystal Cathedral:
                          “In September of 1959, ground-breaking ceremonies were held at the location of the present church property in Garden Grove, California. The Crystal Cathedral was completed in 1980, from which Schuller now tapes his weekly service and later broadcasts on his weekly "Hour of Power" television show (begun in 1970). This cathedral is a vast golden edifice with 10,000 windows, huge video screens, and a 10-foot tall angel hovering from the roof on a rope of gold. He has built up a congregation of over 9,500 members in a church that cost over $20 million.

The "Tower of Power" television ministry makes more than $50 million a year and is beamed to about 20 million viewers in more than 180 countries. Schuller claims to receive between thirty and forty thousand letters a week and has a mailing list of over one million people. He has authored more than 25 books, several of them national best sellers”.

http://www.inplainsite.org/html/tele...ifestyles.html
                          "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
                          " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

It seems as though one man and twelve of his followers did a lot more with a lot less some two thousand years ago. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned.

Comment

Would make a nice aviary.
                              All rides are bought. But occasionally the currency is talent.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X