pass interference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pass interference

I've always been baffled with one aspect of the NFL's pass interference penalty. That is a pass interference that isn't called due to the ball being un-catchable. In essence the NFL rules allow that it's alright to interfere with the receiver if the ball is un-catchable because you won't be flagged or penalized. IMO, whether the ball is catchable or not if a defender, or receiver for that matter interfere's there should still be a penalty.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

You can't interfere with a receiver if the ball is uncatchable because then he isn't a receiver, he's just a downfield blocker.

The current PI rules are already far too biased in favor of the offense - the WR's push off to get 'separation' and are never called for it. When was the last time a pick was called - they happen on virtually every play. And fans and officials forget that once the ball is in the air. the defender has an equal right to the ball. PI is called and the ball placed at the spot of the foul with a first down even though the DB is trying to make a legal play. Yesterday was a classic example: Bears QB Jay Cutler threw long downfield and Seattle nickelback went for the ball. There was contact, neither the WR or the DB came down with the ball but flag for PI and 58 yards. Next play in for a TD. That's just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
      You can't interfere with a receiver if the ball is uncatchable because then he isn't a receiver, he's just a downfield blocker.

The current PI rules are already far too biased in favor of the offense - the WR's push off to get 'separation' and are never called for it. When was the last time a pick was called - they happen on virtually every play. And fans and officials forget that once the ball is in the air. the defender has an equal right to the ball. PI is called and the ball placed at the spot of the foul with a first down even though the DB is trying to make a legal play. Yesterday was a classic example: Bears QB Jay Cutler threw long downfield and Seattle nickelback went for the ball. There was contact, neither the WR or the DB came down with the ball but flag for PI and 58 yards. Next play in for a TD. That's just wrong.
      contact between a receiver and db are allowed within 5 yards and before the ball is thrown. Of course, if a DB holds a receiver, it is a hold. DB's can "jam" a receiver to throw the timing off his route and conversaly a WR can push off to avoid the jam.

Holding happens virtually every play but it isn't called.

The same thing happened during the Jets/Broncos game.....Sanchez throws a bomb on 4th down with under a minute to play in the 4th quarter and down 3 points, it is under thrown and the broncos DB grabbed Holmes' facemask causing a PI. 1st and goal on the Broncos 5 yard line, next play TD. Game over.
      "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

If they made the penalty 10 yards and an automatic first down it wouldn't bother me.
        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
        ~~Groucho Marx
        I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

If a player interfering with the other is considered to grant the other player an automatic catch at that spot, then the penalty for offensive PI should be that the defense is awarded an interception at the spot of the foul.
          Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan View Post
            If a player interfering with the other is considered to grant the other player an automatic catch at that spot, then the penalty for offensive PI should be that the defense is awarded an interception at the spot of the foul.
            You know...that is sound logic. Never thought of it that way and it will never happen in the rules, but it makes perfect sense.
            "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan View Post
              No that doesn't follow. Why should the penalty for offensive interference be much more severe than for defensive interference? A turnover is far worse then just some yardage gain. The penalty as the way it stands isn't saying "they would have caught the ball", it's just a penalty. And it makes some sense to increase it on deeper passes because the potential gain was higher.
              Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Until they change the rule to match the college version, it'll be nothing more than a cruel joke, IMO.
                Make it 15 yards or spot of the foul, whichever is less.
                A defender can intentionally try to break an opponent's arm, or punch him in the face, and it's 15 yards (and probable ejection, but that doesn't directly impact field position or down &distance)....but if he so much as lightly brushes up against a receiver downfield on a long bomb, it's a 50 yard penalty? Puh-leez.

Comment

The problem with the 10 or 15 yard penalty... If you're a defender and your man has broken free and gotten a couple of steps on you... the qb throws the ball 50 yards down the field to him... what are you going to do? You're going to tackle his azz, that's what you're going to do. Big plays will become a thing of the past. That would be a shame, imo.

If a guy is about to catch a ball, and you illegally interfere with that catch, why shouldn't he get the ball where he would've caught it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
                    The problem with the 10 or 15 yard penalty... If you're a defender and your man has broken free and gotten a couple of steps on you... the qb throws the ball 50 yards down the field to him... what are you going to do? You're going to tackle his azz, that's what you're going to do. Big plays will become a thing of the past. That would be a shame, imo.
                    As long as its an automatic first down I suspect most coaches will be okay.
                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2008 5A Football State Champs
                    2015 6A Football State Champs
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                      The current PI rules are already far too biased in favor of the offense...
                      How anyone can suggest that after the no-call play that took Dallas Clark out for the season is beyond me??

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                      I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

I've never understood why the DB has to look back at the ball. Face shielding should be part of the game IMHO. If you can keep up with the 4.3 receiver all the way down field then you've earned the right to face shield.
                        Center Grove Trojans
                        2008 5A Football State Champs
                        2015 6A Football State Champs
                        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                          I've never understood why the DB has to look back at the ball. Face shielding should be part of the game IMHO. If you can keep up with the 4.3 receiver all the way down field then you've earned the right to face shield.
                          I can attest that not all receivers are 4.3 receivers... my coaches use to roll out the sundial to time me.

Of course I'm open to the possibility that the game has changed in 40 years.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                            As long as its an automatic first down I suspect most coaches will be okay.
                            I'm not really thinking about it from a coach's prism. My concern is for the fan and the quality of the game. The deep ball is part of what makes it fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                              I can attest that not all receivers are 4.3 receivers... my coaches use to roll out the sundial to time me.

Of course I'm open to the possibility that the game has changed in 40 years.
                              Well, in your day the sundial was the most accurate timing piece available......

CFL has 2 separate penalties, one is PI, the other "Illegal Contact on a Receiver", which is 10 yards. ICOAR (lol) would be used for the uncatchable, and for contact made perhaps that keeps a receiver from getting open and the ball ever being thrown.
                              Asked how he’d like to be remembered were he hit by a bus tomorrow, Tracy doesn’t hesitate: “I’m a race-car driver. At the last second, I’d swerve and avoid the bus.”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X