A great idea by Texans owner Bob McNair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great idea by Texans owner Bob McNair

He wants to make the proposed two more regular season games rivalry games. So the Texans for example, would play the Cowboys and Saints every season. Or Giants-Jets, Eagles-Steelers, Ravens-Redskins, etc every season!
    Heard this on the Fox pregame show.

That sounds like a good idea. In the Colts case I would tend to believe it would be best utilized with the Bears and Bengals.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan View Post
      That sounds like a good idea.
      +1
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Very smart.
        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
        ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

I would say it's an absolutely horrible idea, but then I would just be called contrary.

Okay, I'll just add this: there's no way to do it equitably. In such a short season, that factor is way too important to dismiss. Doing it in a 162-game MLB season is different. Also, there will be too many teams that simply don't have interesting rivalries.

On a personal level, I'm sick of seeing the same old matchups again and again every year. It would negate one of the major reasons for playing extra games in the first place.
          No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Why am I not surprised?! With just two games a rivalry can be created with about every team that doesn't already exist. I'm just thankful that not everyone shares your view, I know I certainly don't.

Comment

Why am I not surprised?! I'm just thankful that not everyone shares your view, I know I certainly don't.
              Um, okay. You want to address my reasoning? Come on -- enjoin in a fun, intelligent back-and-forth. And if we still disagree, we still would have had the benefit of a fun, intelligent back-and-forth.
              No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

So I guess my hope of seeing the NFL cut down to 2 preseason games and 14 regular season games is dead, huh?
                Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

I agree if we get to play the Bears and the Bengals every year.

I disagree if we have to play the Patriots and the Ravens.

Hey, I think I just made Ren's point...

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
                    I would say it's an absolutely horrible idea, but then I would just be called contrary.

Okay, I'll just add this: there's no way to do it equitably. In such a short season, that factor is way too important to dismiss. Doing it in a 162-game MLB season is different. Also, there will be too many teams that simply don't have interesting rivalries.

On a personal level, I'm sick of seeing the same old matchups again and again every year. It would negate one of the major reasons for playing extra games in the first place.
                    You already play each team in your conference twice. Those are you most natural rivals. Sure, you get matchups like Dallas/Houston, and Niners/Raiders, but I suspect the vast majority of NFL teams already play their rival at least once a season.

Over the last ten years, I've watched the excitement of Sox/Yankees get overplayed to the point of insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
                      I agree if we get to play the Bears and the Bengals every year.

I disagree if we have to play the Patriots and the Ravens.

Hey, I think I just made Ren's point...
                      Yep. Well done. Although it would almost HAVE to be interconference games to make it come close to working.

Also, good luck finding two interesting interconference rivalries for, say, Carolina. And some teams might have ONE, but the second would be a huge stretch. I haven't run through the possibilities, but I wouldn't be surprised if nearly half of the "rivalry" games are contrived and uninspiring.

Comment

In short, your disagreement doesn't have much logic to it. For some cities two games might be a stretch so perhaps two games isn't feasible but certainly one could be. How by adding one or possibly two games as proposed rivalry's does it take anything away from the season? It's no different than the inter-division and inter-conference play that already exists, in fact it expands on it.

Comment

In short, your disagreement doesn't have much logic to it. For some cities two games might be a stretch. How by adding one or possibly two games as proposed rivalry's does it take anything away from the season? It's no different than the inter-division and inter-conference play that already exists, in fact it expands on it.
                          I'm talking about the strength of schedule argument. There's no way to do that equitably with a rivalries matchup.

If that's what you're referring to, your response doesn't make sense. The schedule right now is currently designed to make divisional teams play virtually the same schedule, with the top teams playing two other top teams and the worst teams playing two other worst teams. That's what I meant by equity. It's way too important to mess up with contrived rivalries.

Comment

As for the Dallas/Houston "rivalry," I can tell you that might be big in Houston, but the Cowboys and the city of Dallas approach football as if Houston doesn't even have a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
                              I'm talking about the strength of schedule argument. There's no way to do that equitably with a rivalries matchup.

If that's what you're referring to, your response doesn't make sense. Inter-divisional and inter-conference matchups right now are currently designed to make the top teams have to play the top teams and the worst teams play the worst teams. That's what I meant by equity. It's way too important to mess up with contrived rivalries.
                              My biggest objection (aside from further taxing the players, making the final few games a battle of injury replacements) is that making rivalry matchups a regular thing diminishes the awesomeness of winning them.

Otherwise, let's make EVERY race a 500-miler at the Speedway! I mean, then we'll have a 5.0 rating and 350K+ fans at EVERY race, right?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X