Bridge Over Troubled Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Over Troubled Water

The new bridge over the Colorado River was dedicated this week...WOW http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...e-opening.html
    My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Great shot...Thanx numb...
      My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

This weeks magazine in the newspapers said the bridge was built for national security. So, I guess they will not allow cars on the top of the dam. Wonder if they still have the tours thru the dam.

Comment

Another good thang about being old... getting to use the road on top of the Dam. After the hoops I had to dance through to get a simple address change for my Florida Driver's license there's little chance of that happening again.

BTW the old dam never looked better than it did in the Movie "Fools Rush In". But then even I would look better if Salma Hayek was on top on me.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
            This weeks magazine in the newspapers said the bridge was built for national security. So, I guess they will not allow cars on the top of the dam. Wonder if they still have the tours thru the dam.
            Yes, they do...And the top of the dam will be sorta' like a mall...

Comment

The new bridge is simply awesome. There was a great show on the Discovery or History channel about a year or so ago chronicling the immense scale of building of it. Crews on both sides were in competition with each other in trying to keep to the schedule and beat the other side in meeting in the middle. Being a Union Carpenter and working on huge commercial projects over the past 25 years I can appreciate the extremely hard, physical and dangerous work that is accepted by us tradesmen (tradespeople ?) as just part of the job 8 hours a day EVERY day on EVERY job . I don't believe most folks can truly appreciate all the dangers, hassles, dilemma's, unforeseen challenges and headaches from the weather to making some of the smallest things work that is just part of the every day job. And that goes into every job, every day in not only building a project but completing it within the schedule and budget. Despite architects believing that everything they know and design should work as drawn, real-life proves them wrong on many occasions and it's up to the men in the field to make it happen. Hats-off to all the men & women who made this project happen! :applause:

That said, I too am old enough to remember being stuck in long traffic lines in trying to cross atop the dam. And it was spectacular when you drove across it with the water just 40 feet or so below the road on one side and 600 feet down on the other side. Being down inside the dam is even more spectacular and almost scary when you imagine the amount of water that is being held in place. The bridge and dam are both remarkable feats of construction!
              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Time Lapse Video of Construction.
                No audio, but watch "full screen".

Comment

Thanks for the video roach. I watched it twice and I'm sure i'll watch many more times.
                  To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

I had to laugh last night. One of the local TV stations ran a report on the opening where they let people walk across (no vehicles yet). That thing was packed! They were doing interviews and all that good stuff when the camera operator zoomed in on a guy holding a large sign that said:

NO FISHING FROM BRIDGE!

(BTW - it's 900 feet down to the river!)

Comment

indyracefan:

Comment

Awesome video - thanks!
                        Eff LBD!

Comment

It won't be very long before the bungee jumpers and base jumpers try their luck on the bridge. I'm not sure about the power lines, but I wouldn't be surprised if a pilot tries to fly under the bridge.

Comment

That would be a scary drive for me.
                            "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by IndyDog View Post
                              That would be a scary drive for me.
                              Just close your eyes.
                              It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X