IU football Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IU football Saturday

I know I like talking about the poor state of IU football but I decided to go down for the IU game Saturday. I still love visiting the campus and watching a game at that stadium, first time I had attended a game with the new scoreboard and the enclosed side of the field.

Arkansas State was a team you would have expected an average Big Ten team to win easily. IU looked very bad in first half, two field goals and a touchdown in the second quarter, missed 2 point conversion, so Arkansas State had a 14-12 halftime lead. If the weather was not perfect we might have just sworn off IU football at that point.

Second half ended up being the wild offensive show I expected the entire game after seeing Arkansas State's stats coming into the game. IU has no defense to speak of and Arkansas State's defense was one you would expect IU to walk over.

The second half there were not a lot of defensive stops by either team. IU had some nice scores and a couple of them were immediately followed by long kick off returns leaving Ark State with a short field. After a nice pass by Chappel to a receiver going down left side that was well covered, IU took a 36-27 lead and when Ark State just missed a makeable field goal, game should have been over. But IU running back fumbled with a little over 2 minutes left and Ark State scores again to make it 36-34. They had a chance to get onside kick but ball was tipped out of bounds. So ended up being wild game I expected, not the 14-12 snoozer of first half.

So it was an exciting game, IU ended up winning, great place to watch football especially with sunny skies and temps in low 70s with the trees turning colors. New scoreboard looked great, new enclosed side of field looks great. Not a bad seat in stadium, we walked up to top row to watch game. Ended up being a decent crowd, although it didn't look good at the start of game it filled in by halftime. Of course a lot of students like normal never came back after halftime, seems like that happens at most games I have attended there so it wasn't just the ugly first half that caused that.

I was impressed after the game that IU player Dedman came out in uniform shortly after game and interacted a lot with some youth football players at the game. Thought that was type of thing that would be good for some very young players.

Loved the area for the kids to play during the game, sure some parents appreciated that also as those kids likely went home worn out.

Friend I went with has always been a Lynch supporter but he came away agreeing IU should not be settling for this quality of team. The facilities should be attract a team better than one that can only beat Ark State 36-34 and defense that barely stopped them the entire game.

Comment

Comment

Bill Lynch showed why he's the man for the job. After two tough losses he rallied the troops. Particularly, the IU defense responded and played a tough, fast, hard hitting game. The kickoff coverage was just as ready, after a couple bad weeks.

I keed, I keed...

Someone posted on the Peegs board that Arkansas State would be a trap game, that they were tougher than their record and would see this game as their chance for a win over a Big Ten team. Most of the respondents wondered how it could be a trap game since IU sucked, so why would anyone be surprised if Ark St. won. Sad when your own fan base is is not even surprised of a prediction of a Sun Belt team beating you at home.

They didn't lose though. Exciting second half.

IU needs a coach to make hay with the new facilities. In ten years the other Big Ten schools will have pulled away again. The best time to strike is now. Bill Lynch got the job because of the respect for Hoeppner. Lynch wouldn't get a sniff of a major conference job without that. IU gave him the sentimental chance. Lynch can't make the tough decisions needed to improve his staff. He's a really nice guy by the sounds of it. Decent ethics. Just not the guy to lead IU football. Greenspan didn't have the guts to do a full coaching search, he took the easy feel good way with the Lynch hire. I supported Lynch. But I finally have to conclude the program is not getting better. If Fred Glass gives Lynch another year due to some misguided bean counting, he'll show he's not he man for the job either.

I wonder if they could get Mike Leach? Despite his negatives, he's known for actually being a believer in academics. Could be a decent fit. And if he did win he still wouldn't be offered any really big program jobs and jump ship. So he would stay long enough to show whether the program could be turned into a winner or not.

I heard Darius Willis is out for the year. Ruptured patellar tendon. That really blows. He was a good back. I still think they can get s big ten win. Lynch has been good for a couple a year most years. I used to think they'd get two or three this year. But not with this defense, and already missing their chance at beating Michigan.
        Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Nice pics. Looks like a beautiful place to enjoy the college gameday experience. When I used to go often decades ago it wasn't quite as nice, and they had the astro-turf, but it was still an awesome Saturday every time. (We climbed the fence and played flag football on the field, by the security lights, late at night a couple times)

Indiana, our Indiana. Indiana, we're all for you!

No reason at all they can't recruit good players to play there. And compete in the second tier of the Big Ten at worst, instead of being the doormat.
          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

If you left without sticking around for the Soccer match between IU and Michigan last night then you missed the best game of the Homecoming weekend.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
            I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

We hit Yogis after the game then back to Indy
              I started to watch the soccer game on a replay on BTN but just too late for me and I fell asleep

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-OTN View Post
                We hit Yogis after the game then back to Indy
                I started to watch the soccer game on a replay on BTN but just too late for me and I fell asleep
                I would imagine... the replay didn't come on until 3am, right? I was thinking about watching the replay because I was looking down when Michigan scored their only goal but not only was I too tired to stay up I didn't have the strength to set up the DVR. IU dominated even when they were up 2-0 the ball was rarely on the IU side of field and the Michigan score was a bit of a shock. Normally they don't let them take a Free Kick until everyone is set on both sides but no one was in position when Soony Saad sent his shot into the opposite side of the net from where Soffner was standing... it was so Peytonesque of Soony.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

IU's facilities are awesome. Lynch has some good recruits coming in but assuming they redshirt it will be the 2012 season before they hit the field as freshmen. I doubt Lynch will be around to see them mature.

Side note: One of those recruits is Center Grove's Nick Stoner. Nick has been getting increasing reps as a slot or wide receiver and he looks like he's been doing it all his life. I wonder if he'll ever see the defensive side of IU's field.
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2008 5A Football State Champs
                  2015 6A Football State Champs
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                  2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X