Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I still have an eight track player...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I still have an eight track player...

It just doesn't feel the same without a "cha-chunk" half way thru Deep Purple's "April".

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

I got my driver's license in July 1980 and the first car I owned was a 1977 Camaro which came with a factory AM/FM 8-track stereo. I had to keep all my tapes in a box in the trunk because they were so big & bulky there was nowhere in the car to keep them. That was the last 8-track stereo I ever owned.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

I had one in my 1972 Pontiac Ventura. Someone broke into my car and stole all my 8-tracks tapes. I upgraded to a cassette player shortly after that.
      "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Why I still have an eight track player...

so I could convert my old eight track tapes to CD's.

Last edited by roach; 01-22-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

You've got it all Roach, I'm envious. If I had all the electronic play things you have I'd probably be a Hun and never come out of my cave!

Comment

Originally posted by roach View Post

As a lifelong musician and good friends with a guy who loves to collect vintage studio equipment I have to say that is the strangest and oddly most fantastic combo of technology I've seen yet. I want to laugh but I also want to say 'cool'.
            To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

Originally posted by MD-IRLFAN View Post
              ...I have to say that is the strangest and oddly most fantastic combo of technology I've seen yet. I want to laugh but I also want to say 'cool'.
              This guy was my inspiration:

Comment

A friend of mine growing up, when he got his first stereo for Christmas, got one that let you record on eight-track tapes.

It endlessly mystified us that when we recorded music, or ourselves, the tape just jumped from one track to another with no interruption in sound; but on the tapes we paid for, the songs would fade in the middle before switching tracks...
                "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

Wonderful!!

Its like seeing a Boeing 777 with canvas bi-plane wings
                  Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by skypigeon View Post
                    A friend of mine growing up, when he got his first stereo for Christmas, got one that let you record on eight-track tapes...
                    That unit in my picture is a player / recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Now that's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                        Wonderful!!

And KevMcNJ takes the win!!!
                        To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

That unit in my picture is a player / recorder.
                          I really enjoyed using my 8-track recorder for all of 6 months... back then you really had to plan your lineup with a mind on when that cha-chunk was gonna come in. But only for 6 months because that was when TEAC came out with their top loading cassette recorder and I was able to replace my car's 8 track player with a new Pioneer cassette deck.

I always thought it was "odd" that 8-track was developed by Lear Jet.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

<--- Also still has an 8-track recorder and tapes buried away.

I actually preferred 8-track over cassette tapes for automotive use.
                            I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

My first home stereo had an 8-track with quadraphonic sound. I had Dark Side of the Moon that was produced in quad. I loved listening to Money with the sound bouncing around all four speakers. It was the coolest thing back then.
                              "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X