X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I still have a land line

1. It ain't that expensive
    2. Hundreds of folks have the number, has been in my family for 50+ years
    3. Multiple extensions off the same line; my house is on three levels and there are 10 instruments off that single line

I don't want to be in a position of always having my phone in my hand.

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    I don't want to be in a position of always having my phone in my hand.
    Buy some pants.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

I have to have one for work. I won't own one. Columbus sailed across the ocean, got maybe a little lost, sailed back to Spain. All without a cellphone (which won't work on the ocean, I know). Since most payphones have disappeared, they're sometimes handy. But I dislike them greatly.
      "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

we keep our land line for 911 service that will tell the dispatcher EXACTLY where the call originated from.

our daughter has seizures, and we haven't had to call 911 for a couple years; but we just aren't comfortable giving it up.
        http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

I like it because it doesn't go dead, you don't lose it, it works when the power is out, it is almost invariably in-service, and it doesn't drop calls.

I have a cell phone to send texts and to make calls on the run, and the $22 a month that a landline costs is basically usage that I can directly subtract from my cell.

In the US, it'd probably be a different story as most cell phone packages are "nationwide," and unlimited usage is under $100 a month. Cellular long distance in Canada is still 35 cents per minute.
          "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

No land line here.
            My calls are always from my immediate family so I like havuing them close.
            So my love and I just have a two-line package.
            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            ~~Groucho Marx
            I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

No land line for about 7 years now, we killed it once I got off dial-up internet. Have not missed it at all.
              I hate it when people compare Senna with god . . . I mean he is okay, but come on he isn't Senna. . .

Comment

Originally posted by 9rows View Post
                we keep our land line for 911 service that will tell the dispatcher EXACTLY where the call originated from.

our daughter has seizures, and we haven't had to call 911 for a couple years; but we just aren't comfortable giving it up.
                We've kept ours for the same reason. Our son has severe allergies it’s worth knowing we've got it if needed.
                "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

First and foremost, it's because the only time I would really need a cell is when I'm at work, and my place of work (since it deals with people's SSNs and bank account numbers etc.) forbids cell phones and other such devices in the building as a security measure. The rest of my free time is spent at the theatre, where cell phones are invariably required to be turned off unless there are extenuating circumstances (an ailing family member or other such emergency), or in the air, in which case I have better things to do....I also live in an area of the state where service is typically spotty. Therefore it probably wouldn't really do me much good in an emergency, either. So, since I have a land line with an answering machine-which is a lot less likely to be lost or stolen than a cell phone-there's really no reason to spend the money.
                  "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

I only have a land line phone. Great, because it records messages, if there is something important.

For you young people. When phones were originally installed in some places, there was a box attached to the wall. The phone was attached to that box. You would drop a nickel in the box to get an outside line. You would make your call. But, the nickel dropped to a slot on the bottom of the box. You did not get a free phone call, you just registered that you made a phone call by dropping that nickel.

Had a friend at work, whose mother had one of those boxes way into the 1960s. She was still getting her phone calls for a nickel. Phone company kept trying to replace that with modern equipment, but, they cannot come into your house to take that box out.

Comment

I am about to order a land line in the next week or so due to work commitments.
                      "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

I have a traditional land line phone.

- I have a "bundle" with phone, internet and DirecTV. It pretty much costs me less than $8 for the phone over the rack rate for all three.
                        - The other internet provider here is the cable company. I cut the cable years ago, because the TV service stank, long before you had "internet" at all. I don't know how their internet would be, but that which I get for the phone company is fine, and considering cable gross inferiority in TV, I assume its internet is likewise inferior.
                        - The phone WORKS. Cell phone? Goes out, particularly when something big happens and you need it. Skype, vonage, etc? Toys. Cable company phone? The cable used to go out once a week, no reason given.

Comment

Originally posted by window View Post
                          I have to have one for work. I won't own one. Columbus sailed across the ocean, got maybe a little lost, sailed back to Spain. All without a cellphone (which won't work on the ocean, I know). Since most payphones have disappeared, they're sometimes handy. But I dislike them greatly.
                          Just so you know... land lines won't work on the ocean either.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by Marc P. Gregoire View Post
                            In the US, it'd probably be a different story as most cell phone packages are "nationwide," and unlimited usage is under $100 a month. Cellular long distance in Canada is still 35 cents per minute.
                            Just under $100 a month! Outrageous!

We have pre-paid cell phones that cost us less than $20 a month. We have a land line and DSL through AT&T for about $61.

When we finally sell our house and move, we'll probably get real cell phones and not bother with a land line, although we'll still need to make an Internet choice. I just can't believe how much some people pay for cell phones every month.
                            No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc P. Gregoire View Post
                              I like it because it doesn't go dead, you don't lose it, it works when the power is out, it is almost invariably in-service, and it doesn't drop calls.
                              Your cell phone goes out when the power goes out?

Haven't had a land line in over 5 years now. Can't see ever going back.
                              "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X