NFL rules question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL rules question

Yesterday when the Cowboys had to kick off from the 15, I wondered if they should have just kicked out of bounds and Tennessee would start from their own 40. Would another 15 yards have been assessed in that situation? If not, you figure the return is going to get out to the 35 or 40 anyway.
    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

When a kickoff goes out of bounds between the goal lines without being touched by the receiving team, the ball belongs to the receivers 30 yards from the spot of the kick or at the out-of-bounds spot
    I don't know if you get the choice or what, some later text makes it appear you get it either 30 yards from the spot of the kick or where it went out of bounds, your choice. From the normal 30 yard line kickoff spot, 30 yards is the opposing forty. So after a penalty it would be further back by the amount of the penalty.

Nfl.com - Rules Digest

Good question, I had no idea but figured the penalty was tacked on.
    Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

I struggle with rules because I am either involved in or just a fan of football on so many different levels and they all seem to have different rules.

I know in high school we have the option of having them re-kick with a five yard penalty. Is that not an option in the NFL?
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Not according to that rule the way it's posted, but it may just be a summary. I also thought years ago they had the choice to force a re-kick with a five yard penalty? But I think that choice went away when they moved the kicking spot back five yards and thus gave it to you on the forty. If an onsides kick goes out prior to ten yards there's an automatic five yard penalty and a re-kick. If it goes out again you get the ball where it went out.
        Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Thanks Coyote. I didn't know how they arrived at the 40 yard line spot, that explains it.
          It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X