Mine disaster survivors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine disaster survivors

Did a quick search and couldn't find a thread...sorry if I missed it and started another.

The extraction starts tomorrow night. I've been following this as close as I can and have become fascinated with it. Everything being improvised from the psychology to getting supplies. Amazing.

And reading about how they have chosen the first ones up makes sense. Also a readers comment that said they should put a pistol in the capsule for use should it become permanently stuck...

I am hopeful that this is a 100% success. It would just be heartwrenching if something went wrong and all 33 are lost after all this.
    Last edited by cheeseczar; 10-11-2010, 08:40 PM.
    ...---...

Originally posted by cheeseczar View Post
    Did a quick search and couldn't find a thread...sorry if I missed it and started another.

The extraction starts tomorrow night. I've been following this as close as I can and have become fascinated with it. Everything being adlived from the psychology to getting supplies. Amazing.

And reading about how they have chosen the first ones up makes sense. Also a readers comment that said they should put a pistol in the capsule for use should it become permanently stuck...

I am hopeful that this is a 100% success. It would just be heartwrenching if something went wrong and all 33 are lost after all this.
    As terrible as it must be to be trapped down there I think the ride up would do me in. Claustrophobia...
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Thought about that too.

Anyhow if any of them are, don't you think they would have wigged out by now?
      I would think the blindfold might help?
      ...---...

Comment

I'd use that ride up to get caught up on my prayer life. Yes I would.

Comment

Just read the yahoo news update: The miners will be restricted to an all liquid diet for six hours before they begin the ride up. They said it will rotate a dozen times or more during the trip and may contribute to sickness.

The top of the shaft has already been lined with tubing. Not as far as they planned but decide the rest of it was solid enough and they were risking damaging the walls if they hammered the tubes in further.

They say they've dertermined part of the order bu the rest will be decided after they assess the health of the men. They're sending a paramedic down first. And a miner. A bit of an argument among the trapped miners was who gets the honor of being the last man out.

They already lowered the capsule (built by the Chilean navy) to within 50 feet or so of the bottom. One guy joked that they stopped so that someone wouldn't jump in. Will pull the miners out starting late tomorrow.

Yahoo News
          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Amazing story, prayers from this family for a safe trip up, for the whole 33 of them. According to the news tonight, an American company did the drilling.

Since 33 is number of miners, they could get Eliseo Salazar to run the winch.

Comment

NASA has had health experts on site during this thing to advise the Chileans with their knowledge on the affects of isolation and suggestions on how to keep the health and spirits in good shape.

Good luck to the miners for a safe trip. All of Chile will be celebrating, and so many around the world. It will have been a tremendous job they did to get them out. The miners themselves have done well. Such as the man with a bit of training who had to become the defacto medical man and giving them their flu vaccinations and things like that. They had to work in shifts to clear drilling rock out of the way that fell down the shaft.
              Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Not to forget they are sending guys DOWN tomorrow.

Seems like the guys/gals we come to TF to discuss aren't the only ones that possess a big brass set.
                ...---...

Comment

Thought about that too.

Anyhow if any of them are, don't you think they would have wigged out by now?
                  I would think the blindfold might help?

I could be wrong but I think they actually have a pretty fair amount of room to stretch down there.

Blindfold? I think it would be pretty dark anyway but who knows? Blindfold would be better than nothing but I would be asking for Dramamine, heroine, or anything else that would get me through it.
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Seems like the guys/gals we come to TF to discuss aren't the only ones that possess a big brass set.

Amen.

Suddenly my job seems pretty easy.
                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Not to forget they are sending guys DOWN tomorrow...
                      "Jamski" is probably already on his way to Chile to volunteer!

Comment

Originally posted by roach View Post
                        "Jamski" is probably already on his way to Chile to volunteer!
                        They're gonna need a bigger shaft.
                        ...---...

Comment

They're gonna need a bigger shaft.
                          --rim shot--

Side note: Fascinating story yesterday on NPR All Things Considered about the wives, girlfriends, sisters, etc. of the miners getting a free day at beauty parlors in the town near this mine. Sounds profoundly trivial and out of place on the surface (forgive the pun)--until one realizes that these ladies have been at the mine ever since this disaster happened, sleeping in tents, using rather limited facilities to take care of themselves; and for the sake of both their mental health AND that of the trapped miners, they need to appear as normal as possible once the miners see them upon being freed.

In other words, a huge amount of thought is going into this operation. I've no doubt it'll be a success.
                          "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                          --Danny Noonan

Comment

That would be the interns. They haven't been told yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                              As terrible as it must be to be trapped down there I think the ride up would do me in. Claustrophobia...
                              Yea, me too, I can't imagine ever going into that mine in the first place.
                              A book fell on my head, and I only have my shelf to blame.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X