Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the roof of Lucas Oil stadium closed today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the roof of Lucas Oil stadium closed today?

Too hot for the fans? Too hot for the Colts? No rain in the forecast for days. I wonder how much extra money is being spent to cool the place today?

The announcers said because of the 'unusual' heat for this time of year. I'm thinking the NFL makes the decision, but I'm not certain.
    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Because Bill Polian said so. And that is the bottom line when it comes to all things Colts.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC View Post
        The announcers said because of the 'unusual' heat for this time of year. I'm thinking the NFL makes the decision, but I'm not certain.
        I believe the home team makes those decisions. Frankly, the game looks much better on TV (IMO) when the roof is closed.
        "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Makes you wonder why it was built with a retractable roof at all.
          It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

I wish it had been open. But it would have been hot. Ergo, they should have had it open, but they should have run the A/C too.

Comment

It was a beautiful sunny day in Dallas and they had their roof closed as well.
              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

It would have been a 120 down on the field if the roof had been open today, with no breeze. It would not have been a good thing!

That said, that opening roof deal is pretty poor investment, IMO. Someday, it will get stuck, and won't open. And if they fix it, it will cost a ton. And in the meantime, I bet they use it 2-3 times a year for regular season games - at most, on average. For all the expense, in our climate, it isn't worth it.

We are either too hot, too cold, or it is raining. You can count on one hand the number of perfect days each fall!

Oh, well, at least the fricking interstate has a lot of pretty shrubs and trees planted along it now.

Comment

I was at the game, and at first we were pissed that the roof was closed. But when we were walking back to the car, it was HOT.

Now, I would have liked to see the roof open anyway (even sitting in the sun), but the last time a game was played in a strong sun and high temps, there was a lot of trouble with heat exhaustion with fans. Yeah, some other open-air stadiums have to deal with that problem, but you gotta imagine their fans would like to be indoors when it's that hot too. In fact, Arizona seems to ALWAYS have the roof closed. I know it's typically hotter there, but then you have Dallas too, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

So they're kinda damned either way. The good thing is that every game played before Nov. 6 except for two have been played with the roof open, meaning that the Nov. 1 game could very well be "outdoors." I know it's a night game, but the game against New England in 2008 was played Nov. 2 on Sunday night, and the roof was open.
                  No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by turnrightgoleft View Post
                    And in the meantime, I bet they use it 2-3 times a year for regular season games - at most, on average. For all the expense, in our climate, it isn't worth it.
                    2008: Open for five out of ten home dates, including two preseason games. However, for the first preseason game, they got permission to close it at halftime just so everybody could see it in action.

2009: Open for six out of twelve home dates (closed for both playoff games).

2010: Open for one out of four home dates so far (week 2 night game against the Giants).

I know it has been open for at least one concert, but I'm not sure what they're doing for high-school games or the Circle City Classic.

We are either too hot, too cold, or it is raining. You can count on one hand the number of perfect days each fall!
                    What? Fall is rich with perfect days.
                    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Just think, if they left it open, people might have purchased more $8 beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post

What? Fall is rich with perfect days.

Oh, I know. Fall is my favorite time of the year. I spend hundreds of hours outside each fall, either at work or play. But I love the 90 degree days with 40 degree nights, the middle of Novemeber snows and temps in the teens, the days at Ross-Ade where you wear your insulated underwear, the windy days, the rainy days, the cloudy days, the brisk days, and so on. They are all perfect to me. Fall in Indiana gives you some beautiful sunsets, and unimaginable fall colors, and on average, nice temps and drier than the rest of the year precip.

However, game time on Sunday afternoon, with temps in the 70's, and no chance of rain, just aren't going to happen that often. Especially when your team depends on the pass, and if there is any gain to keeping the roof closed, they are going to do just that.

Still think it was a poor investment. Should have left the roof off.

Comment

We played there Saturday in the Ivy Tech whatever and the roof was open all day. It is very hot when the sun is shining on you.

70's? The only time it was in the 70s this weekend was early morning or late night. It hit 87 today with very little breeze. If I was in charge of the Colts I would have closed the roof too.
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2008 5A Football State Champs
                          2015 6A Football State Champs
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

However, game time on Sunday afternoon, with temps in the 70's, and no chance of rain, just aren't going to happen that often. Especially when your team depends on the pass, and if there is any gain to keeping the roof closed, they are going to do just that.
                            What? Did you not see that the roof has been open in 12 out of 26 games? And all but two of the 14 games with the roof closed have come in mid-November or later. I know the roof was open in upper-50s temperatures in the game against New England in 2008.

The only thing they've done for "gain" is not to open the window anymore. They haven't done that in the regular season since 2008.

Still think it was a poor investment. Should have left the roof off.
                            Yeah, that would be awesome for conventions and basketball games.

Comment

....because if it wasn't closed there would be a "why is the roof open today?" thread.
                              http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X