No announcement yet.

BCS Championship Game - A Big 10 coup??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS Championship Game - A Big 10 coup??

Now that Alabama has gone down here is a wild idea

In a major Big 10 coup

Nebraska vs. Ohio State

Next year this could only be the Big 10 champ game but this year, it is possible

Ohio State does not even play probably the No. 2 team in the Big 10 so unless Wisconsin can pull it off next week, the final games for Ohio State they should be big favorites

Nebraska is already in top 10, interesting I heard one prediction from a coach on CBS that he would not drop Alabama past No. 6 so they could still be ahead of Nebraska but if the Huskers go unbeaten and win Big 12 title game I think it is tough for them not to end up in title game

Just a wild idea

Just a quick question about Nebraska. Did they ever officially join the Big 10 Conference? I can't find anywhere that actually has them in the Big 10 including BigTen.org. Does their membership in the Big 10 start in '11?

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post
      Just a quick question about Nebraska. Did they ever officially join the Big 10 Conference? I can't find anywhere that actually has them in the Big 10 including BigTen.org. Does their membership in the Big 10 start in '11?
      It starts in 2011. They recently settled with the Big 12 to finalize it.
      Eff LBD!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-OTN View Post
        Nebraska is already in top 10, interesting I heard one prediction from a coach on CBS that he would not drop Alabama past No. 6 so they could still be ahead of Nebraska but if the Huskers go unbeaten and win Big 12 title game I think it is tough for them not to end up in title game
        0% chance an 1 loss Bama team finishes ahead of an undefeated Nebraska team.

Chances of Nebraska leapfrogging TCU and Boise St.? Who knows.

Comment

the final games for Ohio State they should be big favorites
          Nov. 20th Ohio State University at the University of Iowa...

We'll see.

TD

Comment

Originally posted by TDIndy500 View Post
            Nov. 20th Ohio State University at the University of Iowa...

We'll see.

TD
            Maybe that game will be the one that saves us from Ohio State in the BCS championship game again

I still have hopes for Wisconsin

Penn State obviously is not a contender this year. I had hoped IU would be at the point this year it could actually beat Penn State but does not seem much hope for that.

Wonder how the ticket sales are going for that Penn State - Indiana game at Washington, D.C. are going

Comment

Looking at this week's coaches poll - which is used in BCS ranking rather than the media poll - it is looking more and more likely an unbeaten Ohio State plays an unbeaten Nebraska in a BCS Championship game.

Nebraska jumped TCU in ranking, likely jumps Boise by end of season with strength of schedule.

Only thing keeping in the way of 2011 Big 10 Championship Game being this years BCS Championship game is Oregon. If Oregon stays unbeaten hard to see an unbeaten Nebraska jumping them.

I don't like the BCS system and tend to root for the scenereo that I think makes BCS look the worst and Ohio State-Nebraska championship game one year before both teams would be in same conference I think is the worst scenereo for BCS. Especially if Boise and/or TCU stays unbeaten and BCS has to explain how Nebraska jumped both teams while promoting the 2011 Big 10 championship game for the BCS title game this year.

Sooner or later college football will find another way to find a champion.

Comment

Looking at this week's coaches poll - which is used in BCS ranking rather than the media poll - it is looking more and more likely an unbeaten Ohio State plays an unbeaten Nebraska in a BCS Championship game.

Nebraska jumped TCU in ranking, likely jumps Boise by end of season with strength of schedule.

Only thing keeping in the way of 2011 Big 10 Championship Game being this years BCS Championship game is Oregon. If Oregon stays unbeaten hard to see an unbeaten Nebraska jumping them.

I don't like the BCS system and tend to root for the scenereo that I think makes BCS look the worst and Ohio State-Nebraska championship game one year before both teams would be in same conference I think is the worst scenereo for BCS. Especially if Boise and/or TCU stays unbeaten and BCS has to explain how Nebraska jumped both teams while promoting the 2011 Big 10 championship game for the BCS title game this year.

Sooner or later college football will find another way to find a champion.
                We agree, I root for the worst case BCS scenario too.
                A book fell on my head, and I only have my shelf to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddy View Post
                  We agree, I root for the worst case BCS scenario too.
                  Count me in this group. Whatever does away with the BCS sooner then later and gets an 8 team playoff I am all for.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

I am trying to think of a worst case scenereo than the BCS having to promote a Big 10 Championship Game as the national championship game, the Big 10 right now I do not think is the prime conference, not the reputation right now of the SEC or even Big 12. I think the reputation would be a defensive dominated conference and in "fly over" country. I think tough sell, poor ratings and by the championship game whoever comes out of the SEC likely is viewed as a team that should be in the championship game and if Boise State is undefeated the BCS again will have to defend them not being in or maybe TCU not being in the game. To get away from this I bet BCS would find a way to jump a 1 loss Alabama team or unbeaten LSU team into the championship game so I want to see them have to defend that also.

Another interesting scenereo I think might be unbeaten Oregon vs. Boise in the championship game if Ohio State and Nebraska losing. I think it might be an interesting game actually but terrible TV ratings, neither team currently really viewed as the major naitional team - although Oregon may be getting there but still they do not have the USC draw. Oregon vs. Boise would be an interesting match-up in one of the bowls, hard to believe it would have the draw for the BCS championship game.

Comment

Why do you keep saying it's a Big Ten championship game? They are in different conferences with entirely different conference schedules. If both make it, it's the Big 12 against the Big Ten. In future years when they've played most of the same conference teams, it would be lame. And it wouldn't happen. Ratings won't be down this year because one team is switching conferences. Big 12 fans will still tune in. And it will have zero effect on the rest of the country.

Teams from different strong conferences and as storied as Ohio State and Nebraska playing for a title wouldn't be even the slightest black eye for the BCS if both teams earn the spots. If you get some one loss power conference team playing over a solid undefeated team, yeah, then it can be. The BCS isn't going to "find a way" to jump a favored team in. Come on let's stay in reality. The BCS system is already set and nobody has that level of control. Makes a good reason to wear a tin foil hat though.

The only thing I have against the BCS is I never thought it was so important to REALLY KNOW who was number one, who was the mythical national champion. Big deal... But the BCS was a smart way to make even more money with the bowl system. A playoff is ok. But it changes the schedules a bit. And again it's not that crucial. But nothing really wrong with a playoff. They probably should go to one.
                      Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Nebraska v Ohio St. would the BCS's dream matchup because both of those schools travel very well.
                        "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

[QUOTE=Coyote;2442641]Why do you keep saying it's a Big Ten championship game? They are in different conferences with entirely different conference schedules. QUOTE]

Because there is no way just about every media doing a pregame story about the game gets through it without pointing out that next year these two teams will be in different divisions of the Big 10 so next year this match-up would be the Big 10 Championship game. That fact would hurt the national interest in this game. There is no way TV wants to promote what turns into basically a game of regional interest. Of courst this is JMO but I see no way they will not want an SEC or maybe Oregon playing Ohio State rather than Nebraska if both were to go unbeaten.

Comment

Don't count on it, people... Ohio State has to get past The Purdue Boilermakers first!!!!

:krusty

Comment

Matt, the BCS conferences just called. They want you to predict a Boise St. versus TCU title game.
                              I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X