Comet Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comet Time

COMET HARTLEY 2 UPDATE: Comet 103P/Hartley 2 continues to approach Earth for an 11-million-mile close encounter on Oct. 20th. It is not yet visible to the unaided eye, but amateur astronomers are finding it easily using backyard telescopes. The comet's vivid green atmosphere now subtends an angle equal to some of the biggest craters and seas on the Moon. Visit http://spaceweather.com for sky maps and latest images.

THE COMET HUNTER: Looking for the right optics to observe Comet Hartley 2? We recommend the David H. Levy Comet Hunter: http://explorescientific.com/davidlevyc ... index.html
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

I just read about this for the first time yesterday. I forgot to take the binocs out. I'll certainly try it tonight.
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

I think I saw it last night with the naked eye. I live a rural area and it is almost as drak as it can get. Last night when I was walking the dog I notice a green glow almost straight up. I was thinking that it was strange. Now I see this about a comet. I will look again tonight with the binoculars.

Comment

I can't see it. I'm using binoculars looking exactly where it's supposed to be, and all I see are faint stars. I'm in the Indy suburbs, but looking away from the city. If it's 5-7 mag., I should pick it up with no problem.

No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
          I can't see it. I'm using binoculars looking exactly where it's supposed to be, and all I see are faint stars. I'm in the Indy suburbs, but looking away from the city. If it's 5-7 mag., I should pick it up with no problem.

You need a telescope.

Comment

Where in the night sky is the comet? I was thinking of breaking out the telescope tonight.
            ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan View Post
              Where in the night sky is the comet? I was thinking of breaking out the telescope tonight.
              http://media.skyandtelescope.com/ima...artley2-bw.jpg

Dates are UTC. So the "9" marker is where the comet was on the evening of the 8th in the USA. The comet is just a little to the left of the "9" as I write this.

EDIT: I embedded the JPEG, but it's way too big.

Comment

trees were in the way where we live so I checked out Jupiter again. Still a great view and Uranus is drifting away
                Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                  Uranus is drifting away
                  That's GOTTA hurt.
                  "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

"Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X