Oct. 1, 1920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oct. 1, 1920

Prediction, we will have music in our homes.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ic-to-the-home

--

The advances in technology in the last, say, 50 years have been staggering.

Just take computers ... I started out as a computer operator in the early 1970s. One of the machines was an IBM 360/40 mainframe. It was housed in a box that was about 6 feet deep, 5 feet tall, and 4 feet wide. It had 64K of memory (that's 64,000 bytes) and ran at a speed of about 40,000 instructions per second. The machine had cost about $250,000 in 1965 dollars. It required a 20 ton rooftop A/C unit to cool the computer room.

By the mid-80s an IBM 3084 was capable of executing over 20 Million instructions per second. It had 64Mb of memory (64 million bytes - a thousand times the storage of the 360/40) and cost about $9 Million dollars. It was housed in two boxes, each over 6 feet tall, about 10 feet deep, and 4 feet wide. It required a rooftop chiller that provided over 50 gallons per minute of chilled water for cooling.

Just a few weeks ago, my g/f got a Samsung Galaxy S cell phone. It has a processor in it rated at 1 GHz (that's roughly 1 Billion instructions per second) and it has 8GB of memory, basically over 100 times the storage of an IBM 3084. It cost under $300.00 with a plan renewal, and of course, she can pick it up in her hand.

The current IBM mainframe, (z196) is of course, considerably more powerful, with memory measured in Terabytes and processor speeds measured at 5.2 GHz per processor, and multiple processors per machine, is obviously much more powerful than a cellphone, but, my point is, if in 1985 you'd have claimed that you could hold more computing power and memory in your hand for a few hundred dollars than a 3084, I'd have said you were crazy.

Comment

^^^^^^

Moore's Law at work.
      "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X