X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Things That Are Overpriced

From Comcast. Interesting.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/fin...ricedproducts/

Theater Popcorn. When I was a kid, there was no butter popcorn. That came later as a teenager. But, as a kid, I paid 10 cents for a box of popcorn in the neighborhood theaters. There was another theater a little farther away, that charged 15 cents, but, there box was bigger. And, it was fresh made.

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
    They left something off....

COMCAST CABLE! I finally dumped them for DirecTV as I got sick of their yearly price gouging with no improvement in service or features. It's nice to have programable menus again.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Obviously the people that put the list together don't have a clue how much it costs to bring a new "name" drug to the consumer including how much money it costs for research and development and FDA mandated costs of bringing a new "wonder" drug to market to save your life..............Plus the same people griping about the price of said new drugs are the same ones that expect that Pharmacutical company to make a profit for their pension funds and 401ks while companys that make "generics" wait till the patent runs out and then change the formuls, yes I said CHANGE the formula to bring you the generic version( which isn't always quite as good as the "real deal" and sel you their drug made in unsanitary conditions overseas and send them to the US market to be sold at a much lower price but making the same % of profit levels that the company did that research and development on that particular drug and laugh at the gullable American Consumer all the way to the bank.............Where do you think all new drugs come from anyway? Out of the sky or from scientists working hard to make these drugs to create cures for the ever growing things that are going wrong with people and drugs that have become resistant to certain microbes , bacterial infections and virus's ? Go ahead and buy your generics and drugs from Canada and overseas but remember this.......one of these days when you run these Pharmacutical companys out of business.......nothing will be on the market to save your sorry asses..................Burma Shave...................
      SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
      " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring View Post
        Obviously the people that put the list together don't have a clue how much it costs to bring a new "name" drug to the consumer including how much money it costs for research and development and FDA mandated costs of bringing a new "wonder" drug to market to save your life..............Plus the same people griping about the price of said new drugs are the same ones that expect that Pharmacutical company to make a profit for their pension funds and 401ks while companys that make "generics" wait till the patent runs out and then change the formuls, yes I said CHANGE the formula to bring you the generic version( which isn't always quite as good as the "real deal" and sel you their drug made in unsanitary conditions overseas and send them to the US market to be sold at a much lower price but making the same % of profit levels that the company did that research and development on that particular drug and laugh at the gullable American Consumer all the way to the bank.............Where do you think all new drugs come from anyway? Out of the sky or from scientists working hard to make these drugs to create cures for the ever growing things that are going wrong with people and drugs that have become resistant to certain microbes , bacterial infections and virus's ? Go ahead and buy your generics and drugs from Canada and overseas but remember this.......one of these days when you run these Pharmacutical companys out of business.......nothing will be on the market to save your sorry asses..................Burma Shave...................
        even when you throw down on a very good topic.. sometimes it's best to use the "rant off" smilie

you da man
        returning to the days of ignorant bliss..

Comment

Dog: Members of my family have worked for Eli Lilly Inc. since before World War II, so when discussing this issue, I always try to keep an open mind. First off, the reason Burma shave lost market share, was Phillip Morris changing their marketing for the product. Second, the problem with Big Pharms marketing is they charge with the market will bear worldwide, but charge the American Market all they can, without regard to anything that resembles ethical behavior. It's very much like what Armand Hammer said when asked how oil and gas prices were created. His answer was, "The Seven Sisters set the price, and you pay it, period." As for pharmaceuticals, domestic collusion has been utilized since the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906, and the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914. and Sears, Roebuck quit selling cocaine mail order. On September 19,1985, I was in the Mexico City Earthquake. I was purchasing and giving away penicillin scripts that cost me about 75 cents, to people who couldn't afford them. The good people of the Rio Grande Valley bought VIRTUALLY all of the SAME DRUG, amphicillin, that was available locally, and the Confederate Air Force flew it to Mexico, D.F.. They paid $32 dollars wholesale for the same drug. Same Drug, same company, made in the same place...Puerto Rico...I could go on, but there is no need. R&D costs money, YES...But Americans have to give 'til it hurts...
          My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

I never go to Starbucks. Always tastes like its 3 days old to me.

But what I do when it comes to coffee away from the house is I bring my travel mug in and fill that up instead of using the paper cups provided,

Id say 10-15% of the time the clerk just says have a nice day and give it to me for free. Some places charge as little as 50 cents for a cup of coffee if you use your travel mug
            Live like Dave

Comment

Great post dog. Let me also point out that the successful drugs also must pay for the R&D for the drugs that never make it to market! The whining about the cost of the medicines that save our lives rings plenty hollow to me.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

In a market economy, there really is no such thing as a good being "over-priced".

If the price of a good, to you, seems excessive, you don't buy the product. If the price seems reasonable, and you want the product, you buy it. Supply and demand tend to control the price.

Now there is a further concept, and that is the "elasticity" of demand. A couple of examples ...

Gasoline - If the price of gasoline doubles, one should expect a very sharp drop in demand. But because most of us need gasoline to get to work, perform our job, etc., a large increase in price has only a small effect on demand. Over time, if the price remains at a "high" level, demand will come down as people sell their "gas guzzlers" for more efficient vehicles, alter their driving pattern (maybe only take the RV on shorter vacation trips), or find a way to carpool to work. The price of gasoline is "inelastic" ... large changes in price have little short term impact on demand.

Coffee - If the price of coffee doubles, one will see a sharp drop in demand. Consumers can find substitutes for coffee, such as tea or other caffinated drinks, or simply stop buying it. The price of coffee is "elastic" ... even small changes in price can have a big impact on demand.

Ultimately, though, (assuming no government intervention in the market) the price is determined by the buyer ... if you think it is high, don't buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                  I never go to Starbucks.

I can't stand the stuff myself. Besides...it's too trendy. I don't want to even be seen near one!

As far as the rest of the list, we're good. We get a bottle of wine once in a while. We don't go to movies, so the popcorn isn't an issue. I drink tap water and cut up my own veggies.
                  ...---...

Comment

I would add stadium food to the list. The only thing more outrageous than the prices is the fact that people line up ten deep to buy it.

Out of those ten items, text messages and bottled water are the only ones I use -- and both of them sparingly.

It's shocking sometimes how much people pay for things in return for little or no measurable value. I know -- it might be valuable enough to them, but I have doubts that they actually think it through before making the purchase.

Savvy consumers seem to be few and far between.
                    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

What dog said.

Comment

They tell you to avoid theater popcorn & then tell you to avoid renting movies in your hotel room... is the solution to take your own popcorn to the movies?

Comment

How about printer ink cartridges. I swear they're priced like they use gold dust in that stuff. IT'S INK!!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                            They tell you to avoid theater popcorn & then tell you to avoid renting movies in your hotel room... is the solution to take your own popcorn to the movies?
                            That's another thing I don't get. Can people not go 1.5 or 2 hours without snacking on something? Or is it just a natural urge to annoy people with loud chewing?
                            No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Hearing aids...
                              If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X