How's your hockey team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your hockey team?

Which one of your favorite teams is going to make the Stanley Cup finals and lose to the Nashville Predators? And yes, whoever is in the cup finals will lose to the Predators!

Ok, well, I am usually overly optimistic before the season. Last year was fun though, a couple significant losing streaks and we thought we were done, yet ended up with one hundred points.

We are improved, after giving Chicago one of their tougher playoff tests last year. Before I predict playoff success, I'd like to see our powerplay improve. I think it clicked at about one percent last year... Coach Trotz has taken it over personally this season. The lone goal scored so far in preseason (1-20 or something terrible) doesn't yet give me great confidence. Although we had all-star Shea Weber finally getting minutes last night and he scored the pp goal.

Our penalty kill is usually solid. Last year it was bad. We have a couple different guys in those roles this season, and the pk looks back to form. Thankfully.

We are faster and have a bit more skill. Traded Jason Arnott who was beginning to fade a bit. (Although he's still solid and should help Jersey.) Added Lombardi from Phoenix. Anderson from overseas. Colin Wilson will be full time. Supposed head case Sergei Kostitsyn from Montreal we got cheap (500k) and so far he looks like just what we needed, a skill guy to play with Legwand. Hopefully Trotz can coach him. So far he's looking good and doing the right things. He even plays defense.

We lost Hamhuis to Vancouver, (about a million per year more than we would have paid) a loss for sure (good luck Hammer!) but we have so many good young defenders that should not be a big loss. For some reason he and Kevin Klein could not communicate last year and were terrible yet Trotz kept them as the second pair for far too long. At least that Trotz blind spot won't recur. Klein actually played very well last year once moved from Hamhuis and paired with the old man, The Cube, Francis Bouillon. We added Ryan Parent from Philly. Supposedly he has had back trouble, but it sounds as if he's 100 percent right now. And he's playing really well.

It's almost hockey season! Whooo! Can't wait to see Big Shea Weber let loose the cannon slapper again!
    Last edited by Coyote; 09-28-2010, 01:45 PM.
    Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
    Which one of your favorite teams is going to make the Stanley Cup finals and lose to the Nashville Predators?
    Unless I totally missed a re-alignment over the summer, how can my BlackHawks lose to Nashville when they're in the Cup finals...
    Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

The Blues are betting heavily on making the playoffs this year. They have a season ticket package where you pay half up front, with the second half due on the date they make the playoffs. It is neat to see the owners showing that much faith in the team.
      Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardscrabble View Post
        Unless I totally missed a re-alignment over the summer, how can my BlackHawks lose to Nashville when they're in the Cup finals...
        OK, well the road to the Cup is going through Nashville this year. I'll give the 'Hawks credit and figure they may take us all the way to a game six and lose at home in game six in Chicago. Of whatever round the seed dictates they meet.
        Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Gateway Fan View Post
          The Blues are betting heavily on making the playoffs this year. They have a season ticket package where you pay half up front, with the second half due on the date they make the playoffs. It is neat to see the owners showing that much faith in the team.
          That is very cool. The Central division is TOUGH.

Comment

The Hawks lost half their soul in the offseason. Repeating is out of the question.

Im a fan boi, so I have to hope for my Canucks again. They need a solid healthy defense to go far, something they haven't had for years. Hamhuis should help!
            Asked how he’d like to be remembered were he hit by a bus tomorrow, Tracy doesn’t hesitate: “I’m a race-car driver. At the last second, I’d swerve and avoid the bus.”

Comment

Meanwhile, the Charlestown Chiefs are fighting their way to the top of the Federal League. Aggressive hockey is back!
              You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

I sold mine for a handsome profit and now I will not have to work another day in my life.
                "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                ~~Groucho Marx
                I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Coyote :

It's good to see the enthusiasm and optimism which the pre-season brings to the fans and I thought your summation of the Predators' prospects was relatively objective and reasonable, until I got to your comment that " Sergei Kostitsyn....even plays defense". The Kostitsyn brothers may occasionally sit on the fence when they are asked about their relationships with team mates and they might actually get defensive when their play is criticized, BUT, neither of the Kostitsyns have demonstarted any inclination to play defense in a real game, so it's only a matter of time.

Actually, I like Barry Trotz and the way he gets the most out of teams and Nashville is a fun team to watch, so I wish them well this season.

As a Maple Leaf fan for more than fifty years, my expectations are somewhat muted though I am hoping that they don't miss the playoffs by more than a few points this year.
                  The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable : John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    relatively objective and reasonable, until I got to your comment that " Sergei Kostitsyn....even plays defense".
                    LOL! Ya caught me...

But actually, I see I was unclear. What I meant to say was Kostitsyn has been playing some defense, SO FAR.

He's been tried on the penalty kill and has done well enough he'll probably play there some. And on even strength Trotz demands two-way play and has paired him with David Legwand who is always used as our shutdown center against the other teams best forwards. So Trotz seems to see something. His Montreal fans, and there are some, say his supposed laziness is not true and that he will play both ends, but we'll see. His Montreal detractors, and there are many, say he won't.

I think the change of scenery has helped the kid, I really do. But you are right, the proof will be in the full season. Players have said he's been the last to leave the ice every practice, working hard. He seems to understand that if this season is a dud, there may not be more offers.

Comment

I'm optimistic for the Stars season. I thought they ended last season on a pretty good note and personally, I think they could sneak into the playoffs should all go right. I like Kari Lehtonen and became a fan after watching him play a few games towards the end of last season. Their offense is still pretty strong, with guys like Richards, Ribeiro, Morrow, Neal, Eriksson, and Benn. I am worried about their defense, but I have liked what I've seen out of Fistric and Grossman. Hopefully Niskanen can rebound and have a good season this year. They finally cut ties with Mike Modano and Marty Turco. Its too bad Modano didn't retire a Star, but I have heard rumblings on other boards that Nieuwendyk thought Modano was part of the problem in the locker room. One poster on another site mentioned he'd heard Nieuwendyk make those comments during a radio show in Dallas a few days ago. How true that is, I am not sure, but its something I've heard off and on for awhile. Marty up and signed with the Blackhawks. I am happy to see they are focusing on their younger core now. Not too sure about Lehtinen's status. They are still operating under a self imposed cap, which hindered their free agent chase and hopefully they can get their ownership issues dealt with sooner rather than later. While I wasn't happy them giving Burish over a million each year, I think Nieuwendyk may have this team on a good path.

Even though OKC is about 2 and a half hours away from me here in Durant, the Oilers put their AHL affiliate in OKC this season and I'm hoping to sneak up there a couple of times this season to see the Barons play. I'm still learning who to watch in the Oilers organization. Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, and Omark have stood out to me. I've heard Gerber is looking good. From what I've seen so far in the preseason, the Oilers look like they may have a fun team to watch this year, but its the preseason. I've enjoyed the Oilers games I've seen in the past (with the exception of last season), so its gonna be fun to watch them. I'm really optimistic to see what the Barons can accomplish this year.

My preseason pick for the Cup is Vancouver. I was a fan of Ballard while living in Phoenix and I think they have themselves a heckuva defenseman there.

I'd like to see your Preds do well this year too Coyote, its about time they win a playoff series. I was hoping they'd pull it off against the Hawks last Spring.

Comment

I've already watched a couple of pre-season games on the NHL Network!
                        I kinda like the Penguins but I wasn't too unhappy that the Cup went to Chicago last year.
                        I just love to watch the game!
                        Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy View Post
                          I've already watched a couple of pre-season games on the NHL Network!
                          I kinda like the Penguins but I wasn't too unhappy that the Cup went to Chicago last year.
                          I just love to watch the game!
                          You just like the Pens because I do!

I won't see a lot of hockey this year since I'm going back to work and won't be home until 9:30 pm. I actually cancelled my standing order with Directv for the Center Ice package. What I'll see is what will be on Versus and I guess I'll watch the Bluejackets since they are my "home" team.

My heart will be with my Pens and I hope to see them contend for the Cup again this year.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
                              I second that vote..we better make the playoffs this year, its time for our supposed young talent to start shining.
                              I'm gonna wiggle it at 'em, you cheap [email protected]@rd. Be prepared, because when I yank it out, everybody in that audience except my wife is gonna be runnin' for the exits.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X