Polian says 18-game season set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polian says 18-game season set

Bill Polian says an 18-game season is a done deal.

Originally posted by Indianapolis Star, written by AP
    Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian believes the debate over an 18-game NFL season is over, and an expanded schedule will soon become a reality.

The competition committee member and former league executive twice said he expects the NFL to stretch its regular season by two games. He twice called the decision a "fait accompli" during his weekly radio show Monday night.

"I think that the owners, and principally the commissioner, have decided that it's the way to go, and so the debate, such as it was, is over," Polian said. "I've heard recently, and I'm sorry that this didn't get more coverage earlier, some really, really interesting commentary on it. . . . I wish some of that dialogue had taken place earlier."

Officially, nothing has changed. League owners and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell have expressed support for cutting the preseason schedule from four games to two and expanding the regular-season schedule from 16 to 18. But the format change hasn't been approved by either the owners or the NFL Players Association.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would not respond to Polian's comments.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ame-season-set
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

So, two "preseason" games, then, and the real season starts in August? BLECH.
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

Comment

Season ticket holders will now only get screwed once.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

So will NASCAR start their chase two weeks earlier to try and compete with footballs longer season?
        "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
          So will NASCAR start their chase two weeks earlier to try and compete with footballs longer season?
          Rumor is the chase expands to 18 races. The top 35 will be locked in. There will be one promoters option in case Earnhardt isn't in the top 35.
          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Originally posted by skypigeon View Post
            So, two "preseason" games, then, and the real season starts in August? BLECH.
            August? No.

Two preseason games in August, Labor Day weekend off, and then the season starts the same as it has recently -- the first Thursday/Sunday after Labor Day.

The season will be extended further into January, and the playoffs will be played in late January/early February, with the Super Bowl in mid February (probably Presidents Day weekend).

This is a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN for all parties involved. Even the players will receive concessions to play the "extra" games.
            No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Head-to-head with the Daytona 500? Not that the NFL is worried.
              It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by midtown View Post
                Head-to-head with the Daytona 500? Not that the NFL is worried.
                The only thing the NFL might be worried about is H2H with the Winter Olympics every four years. But considering that the Olympics are typically tape delayed into primetime, it's not as if NBC (or whoever has the rights that year) will miss out on too many live events. But they would lose one key Sunday of packaged programming. Or they could counterprogram with some of the typically female-targeted events like ice dancing.

Daytona will have some flexibility, running on Saturday or another weekend. They don't have to go on Prez weekend. The Olympics don't have the same flexibility, and it's an international event anyway that won't feel bullied by a mostly American event like the SB.
                No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

I wonder if they'll expand the rosters because of the extra wear and tear? Probably not, just maybe allow one or two more on the practice squad.
                  Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
                    I wonder if they'll expand the rosters because of the extra wear and tear? Probably not, just maybe allow one or two more on the practice squad.
                    No, I've heard that rosters will probably be expanded, players will be paid more, and an extra bye week might be included.

The owners get a lot of crap about "not caring" about their players, but they're hearing all the clamor about player safety and injuries, and I'm sure most of them take it very seriously. But they also hear the season ticket holders who are tired of 20% of their investment going to crappy preseason games. So they need to balance everybody's best interest while also taking care of their businesses. That can't be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
                      So they need to balance everybody's best interest while also taking care of their businesses. That can't be easy.
                      Yeah. But I'd like to have their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
                        No, I've heard that rosters will probably be expanded, players will be paid more, and an extra bye week might be included.

The owners get a lot of crap about "not caring" about their players, but they're hearing all the clamor about player safety and injuries, and I'm sure most of them take it very seriously. But they also hear the season ticket holders who are tired of 20% of their investment going to crappy preseason games. So they need to balance everybody's best interest while also taking care of their businesses. That can't be easy.
                        I guess I always speculated this will allow more Television money, which is how they will pay players more money. That is the only conclusion I can reach from this otherwise bad idea.
                        “Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” -- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Comment

This is good news for this NFL season ticket holder.
                          "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

It's about time.
                            Asked how he’d like to be remembered were he hit by a bus tomorrow, Tracy doesn’t hesitate: “I’m a race-car driver. At the last second, I’d swerve and avoid the bus.”

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                              This is good news for this NFL season ticket holder.
                              Well... sorta.

For a pre-season game, I show up at game time, maybe even take some of my little ones and leave when they get bored.

For a regular season game, I pay a babysitter a small fortune, go setup in the tailgating lot spending another small fortune on food and beer.

So this is actually going to cost a couple hundred extra dollars...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X