Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Albums of the 1960's - Final Four

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Albums of the 1960's - Final Four

    70
    sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band - the beatles
    34.29%
    24
    at folsom prison - johnny cash
    12.86%
    9
    .
    2.86%
    2
    the white album - the beatles
    28.57%
    20
    tommy - the who
    21.43%
    15

    The poll is expired.

    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

  • #2
    Gotta hand it to you, 'numb, this is one of your better efforts. What a nailbiter.
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

    Comment


    • #3
      Frankly, I am astonished the White Album made it here.
      It would have been a superb single disc, but there is just too much baggage attached to it for it to be considered near the top of the list.
      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
      ~~Groucho Marx
      I have the hots for Khaleesi...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by comfortably numb View Post
        Frankly, I am astonished the White Album made it here.
        It would have been a superb single disc, but there is just too much baggage attached to it for it to be considered near the top of the list.
        Yep. It would be a shame if an average-at-best white album beat out a true masterpiece like Tommy.
        "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

        2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

        2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

        2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
          Yep. It would be a shame if an average-at-best white album beat out a true masterpiece like Tommy.
          Masterpiece? I'm betting you haven't listened to it in a while. All albums, even 'rock operas' have to be about the music, about the songs, and 'Tommy' has 3 great ones and a bunch of filler: 'Pinball Wizard,' 'I'm Free' and 'Acid Queen.' Compare that with the 'White Album' which, yes, could have been edited into a superb single album but had 'Blackbird,' 'Julia,' 'Helter Skelter,' 'Guitar Weeps', 'Mother Nature's Son,' 'Back in the USSR', 'Dear Prudence'and half a dozen more.

          I'm also amazed that 'Abbey Road' didn't make the cut.

          Comment


          • #6
            I kinda like Piggies and Rocky Raccoon. But I voted for Tommy.
            "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
              Masterpiece? I'm betting you haven't listened to it in a while. All albums, even 'rock operas' have to be about the music, about the songs, and 'Tommy' has 3 great ones and a bunch of filler: 'Pinball Wizard,' 'I'm Free' and 'Acid Queen.' Compare that with the 'White Album' which, yes, could have been edited into a superb single album but had 'Blackbird,' 'Julia,' 'Helter Skelter,' 'Guitar Weeps', 'Mother Nature's Son,' 'Back in the USSR', 'Dear Prudence'and half a dozen more.

              I'm also amazed that 'Abbey Road' didn't make the cut.
              Actually I have listened to Tommy recently. Sparks, Underture, Overture, See Me, Feel Me, Go to the Mirror.... lots of great stuff. Not my favorite Who album, but far better than the White Album. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is enough to banish the White Album to the bowels of hell.
              "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

              2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

              2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

              2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

              Comment


              • #8
                Way too easy!
                Have a very blessed day!

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's hard to find a great deal of fault with any of these albums, but here is my 2 cents. As others have said, The White Album has some great songs but IMHO it would certainly rank behind Revolver, Help!, and Rubber Soul at a minimum. As far as At Folsom Prison is concerned, I'm a huge Cash fan but this album is more representative of the event itself than the actual quality of the music (the songs were released several years prior so it wasn't newly released material).

                  I can't argue with Sgt. Peppers or Tommy. From my own standpoint I would have also included 2 of the following: Pet Sounds, Rubber Soul, or Let it Bleed.
                  "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is enough to banish the White Album to the bowels of hell.
                    Did you happen to listen to Tommy's Holiday Camp when you were listening to Tommy?

                    If you haven't heard it, the Smithereens' partial cover of Tommy is really interesting to listen to. They did a great job with some of those songs. Amazing Journey/Sparks and Sensation were very well done. They also did a solid cover of Meet the Beatles! a few years ago.
                    "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

                    "No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X