Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burn bans

http://www.wthr.com/story/13214521/s...edirected=true

Seems some fire officials are taking things a little too far in Fishers. Are they actually going to pass out tickets for grilling out?

From the article:
    "People don't understand how fast a fire can spread. They think. 'I will have a small fire and I can manage it' and the next thing you know it gets into a garage and a house and so forth," said Capt. Fred Purvine, Indianapolis Fire Department.

I don't know much about Fishers, but if it's dry and there are lots of leaves or grass, it doesnt take long to have a roaring inferno. And some people should not be allowed near matches.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

Originally posted by window View Post
      From the article:
      "People don't understand how fast a fire can spread. They think. 'I will have a small fire and I can manage it' and the next thing you know it gets into a garage and a house and so forth," said Capt. Fred Purvine, Indianapolis Fire Department.

I don't know much about Fishers, but if it's dry and there are lots of leaves or grass, it doesnt take long to have a roaring inferno. And some people should not be allowed near matches.
      How about we not dictate every facet of our lives but make people responsible for their actions...?

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
        How about we not dictate every facet of our lives but make people responsible for their actions...?
        I agree. As it gets cold, my wife and I like to have a little campfire on the back porch. We have one of those little outdoor firepits that you can buy at Lowes. I don't need some blowhard police or fire official telling me how I am about to set the neighborhood on fire by doing this. I have kept my yard watered and it is far from a condition where it will catch on fire. And the neighbors are too far away.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
          Ordinarily I would agree, but what punishment do you give someone who "accidentally" burned down your entire subdivision (if you ever even figure out who did it)? I don't like the gubmint telling me what to do any more than anyone else, but I think there are times when it's needed for the collective good. Then again, I spent several years living in California where the threat of fire is taken a little more seriously. Everyone can do without their roasted weenies for a little while (though I guess I'd agree that banning gas grills is a little much, if that's what they're really doing... I wouldn't consider that an "open flame").
          Paul Woods
          IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

I smoked some peppers last night and this weekend am planning on doing some ribs and maybe a butt. I never even thought I wasn't allowed to use my smoker. I'll have to check before this weekend I guess.

Jason
            I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              I smoked some peppers last night and this weekend am planning on doing some ribs and maybe a butt. I never even thought I wasn't allowed to use my smoker. I'll have to check before this weekend I guess.

Jason
              Personally I would just do it and plead ignorance. Your neighbors probably aren't going to call the fire department because you're cooking food, and if they do, the firefighters almost certainly won't give you too hard of a time.

Comment

I really don't have many neighbors. They have all moved out. They were gone before I moved in, so it wasn't cause of me. And I would of course offer the cop or fireman some ribs.

Jason
                I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Comment

We recently had a fire near Boulder - 165 homes were lost - most property damage from a fire in Colorado history.

The source... a fire pit... belonging to a 20 yr fireman.... who had properly doused the flame and stirred the ashes - he did everything that he was supposed to do. He was the first to report the fire and his was one of the houses lost.
                  "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Like FlyingPylon said, ordinarily I'd agree, but I've spent a few too many weekends and long nites chasing the results/aftermath trying to keep the flames away from homes and more woods. Not to sound selfish but my home happens to be in the area where said "entertainment" occurred. What you interpret as grilling may be termed as needing a bonfire to some. And legal or not, you'll have your renegades.
                    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                      We recently had a fire near Boulder - 165 homes were lost - most property damage from a fire in Colorado history.

The source... a fire pit... belonging to a 20 yr fireman.... who had properly doused the flame and stirred the ashes - he did everything that he was supposed to do. He was the first to report the fire and his was one of the houses lost.
                      Just up the hill from my house in 2007. Fire was caused by a spark from a grinder being used in a new home under construction.

Last edited by roach; 01-22-2014, 01:52 AM.

Comment

As flyingpylon pointed out, we're much more aware of the dangers of fire here in California.

This is partly due to the fact that our weather patterns (roughly about 4 months of rain and 8 months of no rain) mean that the state, by late summer/early fall is tinder dry. We have seen some horrendous fires, with tragic results.

Probably the worst in my "recent" memory was the Oakland Hills fire of 1991. It started as a grass fire ... the origin of which will never be resolved, but since it occured in a residential area, much suspicion focused on a barbeque where the embers blew into the grasslands.

The Oakland Fire Department fought the fire on Saturday, October 19th, and felt they had the fire contained by Sunday morning, the 20th.

That morning the weather changed, and hot dry air from inland started flowing out towards the ocean. Wind speeds rose to gusts over 60 mph, and the remenants of the grass fire rapidly reignited and spread. The fire spread into the residentail neighborhoods, and it took over a thousand firefighters, dispatched from as much as several hundred miles away (Units from as far away as Los Angeles were sent to help), to bring the fire under control. It took about four days to put the fire out.

25 people died in the fire as it spread so rapidly into the neighborhoods that traffic jams formed as people tried to flee. The fire overwhelmed some in their cars, others on foot, as they tried to get out. Hundreds were injured. Over 3,000 homes were burned to the ground.

Fire in a drought situation is a real threat. I don't think it is unreasonable for local governments to impose temporary bans on fires in those conditions.

Last edited by BadazzZ06; 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I wonder if our burn ban here in central maryland will be lifted today since we are currently under a flash flood warning?
                          "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

It's dangerously dry in central Indiana. Please be careful!!
                            Signed,
                            Everybody's Neighbor!
                            Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy View Post
                              It's dangerously dry in central Indiana. Please be careful!!
                              Signed,
                              Everybody's Neighbor!
                              Our Cub Scout camping trip this weekend just got cancelled due to the fire ban.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X