Day of Dominance for the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day of Dominance for the Big Ten

Very impressive scores coming in from the Big Ten. Obviously the schedules were skewed toward leaving this weekend open to easy wins for the Big Ten teams.

Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Yeah, I guess I'm just not all that impressed really. Not a single Big Ten school played what I would consider a decent opponent today, with Purdue losing and Minnesota trailing at halftime. Sure, the ranked teams beat the snot out of the schools they played against. But, I can't say that it's impressive. When you are ranked, playing at home, against a MAC school or whatever...you should be winning by a huge margin. I think it actually hurts the perception of the Big Ten today when -every- school scheduled a cupcake on the same day. I realize that all the big schools schedule a couple cupcakes to play against every year, but really poor planning on the part of the Big Ten schools to have a day like this where they don't have a single marquee matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Canth View Post
      Purdue losing

Wha?
      Center Grove Trojans
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
        Wha?
        Purdue lost at home to Toledo, 31-20. Their qb also got hurt.

Comment

Purdue lost at home to Toledo, 31-20. Their qb also got hurt.
          Say it isn't so...
          Center Grove Trojans
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Are you just messing with me, or did you really not know that?

Comment

Are you just messing with me, or did you really not know that?
              Didn't know.

I've been at our youth program's field all day. I've got the sunburn to prove it.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Actually Temple, Penn State's opponent is (was) looking pretty solid this year in the MAC. Losing their stud RB took them completely out of the game though. Haven't seen how bad his injury is...

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                  Obviously the schedules were skewed toward leaving this weekend open to easy wins for the Big Ten teams.
                  No kidding. Here was the murderer's row this weekend that the Big 10 went 9-2 against (Sagarin ratings of each):

Akron (187th)
                  Ball State (143rd)
                  Bowling Green (90th)
                  Northern Colorado (169th)
                  Northern Illinois (116th)
                  Central Michigan (73rd)
                  Eastern Michigan (174th)
                  Temple (46th)
                  Toledo (94th)
                  Austin Peay (194th)

Comment

The Hoosiers still can't play run defense. Gave up over five yards a carry to Akron. AKRON! That's not looking good with Michigan coming to town. Although Tyler Replogle was out against Akron. The Hoosier offense has been good although the running game still needs some work. Good to see that Willis had a solid day, maybe the running game can get going. Offense will have to carry them in the Big Ten. I hope Chappell is on fire next week.
                    Last edited by Coyote; 09-26-2010, 12:16 PM.
                    Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Eventhough I am an IU fan their football schedule so far has been pretty sad. Their opponents have a collective 1-11 record, only win is 47-45 by Towson over Coastal Carolina.

Has beating Towson, Western Kentucky and Akron proven anything. Yet they are half way to bowl eligible. The preconference schedule should be required to have one team with a chance to have a 500 record. I guess the next 2 weeks will show if it is worth playing 3 patsies at the start of the season before playing Michigan and Ohio State.

Comment

I'm not aware of any IU fans buying Rose Bowl tickets yet. Most that I know see these like I do -- wins against cupcakes.
                        Center Grove Trojans
                        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-OTN View Post
                          Has beating Towson, Western Kentucky and Akron proven anything.
                          No, but it's a lot better than losing to one of those teams.

IU always schedules out of conference patsies. They need some wins before the Big Ten. Once in awhile one of the MAC schools proves to be fairly decent. But this year it was Akron, and they suck. Western Michigan doesn't stink every year either, 9-3 two years ago.
                          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Big difference between talking Rose Bowl and being bowl eligible, which is what I said. And being 2-6 in the Big 10 does not deserve being bowl eligible when your other wins are against Towson, Western Kentucky, Akron and Arkansas State.

And I am hearing too many people talking about how good IUs offense is - but all they have played is teams that are 1-11. Before talking about their offense lets see how they do against teams that can actually put pressure on the quarterback and play just a little bit of pass defense.

Let me throw something else out. First time IU hosts Nebraska I would like to see that game at Lucas Oil Stadium I have said it to some other friends who think it woud be a good idea. The way Nebraska travels they may have more fans at Memorial Stadium than IU, that might not look as bad if the game is at Lucas Oil and a sell out there might bring in more $$ to the IU athletic department than a home game. And seeing IU gave up this year's home game with Penn State for some $$, they have shown a willingness to do something like that for the right deal.

Comment

Yeah, but hosting Nebraska presents another opportunity to get an aerial shot of the stadium sold out and full of red.
                              Center Grove Trojans
                              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X