Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic was sunk by a steering error?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100922/...n_titanic_book

2nd Officer Lightoller's granddaughter says that her grandfather covered up this in the investigations to save the company. Interesting
    In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

Why would it matter if he steered left or right. Most of the icebergs mass is under water. It could have been just as big on one side or the other. That is unless the ship was not heading directly toward the iceberg in the first place.

Comment

Probably another person who wants to be in the spot light. Then again who knows..

Comment

Total b.s. imho. It's a publicity stunt.
        I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Originally posted by don7031 View Post
          Total b.s. imho. It's a publicity stunt.
          It just took her a few decades to check the accuracy of her facts. It's pure coincidence the release of the information coincides with the publication of her new book which will benefit from the publicity. I commend her for revealing this knowledge in a timely fashion for the public good and historical accuracy.
          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

I will believe that Ismay took the Captain Simth to keep sailing, from his historical record it seems like he would
            In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

Comment

'Cuse me Sir, "Was that.... red, right, return?":krusty:krusty:krusty
              My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

Originally posted by mcman7890 View Post
                I will believe that Ismay told the Captain Simth to keep sailing, from his historical record it seems like he would
                That conversation may have taken place. But I don't think they kept going. There were 700 survivors who would have confirmed that instead of the conventional story that they came to full stop immediately after the collision. ("immediate" being a relative term for a 43,000 ton vessel cruising at 20 knots)

P.S. I don't believe the Tiller Command error, either. It's only counterintuitive to the general public, not the highly trained nautical personnel manning the line's flagship.
                Last edited by Lemming51; 09-23-2010, 07:48 AM.
                "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
                “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
                "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

Originally posted by Lemming51 View Post
                  That conversation may have taken place. But I don't think they kept going. There were 700 survivors who would have confirmed that instead of the conventional story that they came to full stop immediately after the collision. ("immediate" being a relative term for a 43,000 ton vessel cruising at 20 knots)
                  That must have been a wild crash...
                  My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
                    It just took her a few decades to check the accuracy of her facts. It's pure coincidence the release of the information coincides with the publication of her new book which will benefit from the publicity. I commend her for revealing this knowledge in a timely fashion for the public good and historical accuracy.
                    Sir, when you drip sarcasm, it splashes subtly yet loudly.
                    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                    --Danny Noonan

Comment

Haha.

Splashing loudly maybe. But the next time I'm subtle will probably be the first.
                      Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Conspiracy? Cover up? Maybe. Who knows?

But, I can see why there would be confusion and differing stories on this. What most people don't consider is that ships "steer" from astern. Sort of like a forklift. They don't just quickly point their nose in a new direction. To go to port, they have to shove the stern to starboard. This is magnified at slow maneuvering speeds. So, depending on where you are on the ship, you might be going port or starboard during that turn. Add in nighttime and panicky conditions. I could see how people would have differing stories.

Comment

I'm quite certain that Nemo rammed it.

Yeah...that's it...
                          ...---...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X