Jupiter tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jupiter tonight

JUPITER AT ITS BEST: Tonight, Sept. 20-21, Earth and Jupiter converge for their closest encounter in decades. The giant planet will soar across the sky at midnight, outshining everything except the Moon itself. Although big, bright Jupiter will remain close to Earth for weeks to come, tonight is the closest of all. Check http://spaceweather.com for images and more information.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Jupiter is big and bright, but it's almost always big and bright! It always outshines everything in the night sky unless it happens to be near Venus (edit: or the moon, obviously, as stated in the previous post).

Sometimes they write these things with hyperbole and then end up disappointing viewers who expected more. Just expect a very bright "star," and crack out the binoculars and see if you can detect cloud bands and Jupiter's four big moons!
    Last edited by Ren Butler; 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM.
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Any sign of a monolith near Europa?
      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
        Jupiter is big and bright, but it's almost always big and bright! It always outshines everything in the night sky unless it happens to be near Venus.

Sometimes they write these things with hyperbole and then end up disappointing viewers who expected more. Just expect a very bright "star," and crack out the binoculars and see if you can detect cloud bands and Jupiter's four big moons!
        And if you're fortunate enough to have a Dob in the basement like we do, well, you're in luck!

I think I will see if I can get some pictures tonight. If I get anything worthwhile, I'll post them here tomorrow.
        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by midtown View Post
          Any sign of a monolith near Europa?
          Yes! And remember you've been asked kindly to stay away from Europa!
          "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Any recommendations on DSLR settings for a photo op? I will be using a 300mm lens. I have got decently good at moon shots, but I believe Jupiter will be much harder, but I never tried.
            "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
            " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

Originally posted by Formula Indy View Post
              Any recommendations on DSLR settings for a photo op? I will be using a 300mm lens. I have got decently good at moon shots, but I believe Jupiter will be much harder, but I never tried.
              I wish I could help. I have a cheap little Sony digital (cheap but effective--won four ribbons at the county and state fair with it this year!) for which a dear friend gave me a bracket that clamps it onto the eyepiece. It takes some doing and several measures of patience, but I can usually get decent shots with it.
              You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

I shot this the other night. Jupiter, Europa, Io, Ganymede and Callisto in that order. As a bonus, I even threw in Uranus in the upper left.

Canon 7D, 560mm, ISO 6400.

Formula Indy - 300mm will resolve Jupiter and the moons...but to get the moons you overexpose Jupiter (as in my shot), to get cloud detail on Jupiter you will lose the moons (300mm may be a 'bit' short to reveal cloud detail)

"Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                  I shot this the other night. Jupiter, Europa, Io, Ganymede and Callisto in that order. As a bonus, I even threw in Uranus in the upper left.
                  Wow! Impressive, especially Uranus. I've seen it through binoculars, and it's surprising how much color shows up.
                  No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Wow! Impressive, especially Uranus. I've seen it through binoculars, and it's surprising how much color shows up.
                    Yeah, you could really see the green hue. Unfortunately some of it was lost when I applied noise reduction in post processing that was necessary from shooting ISO 6400.
                    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Michael, like all your photos spectacular job! That's awesome!
                      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

There's a joke in there somewhere. :krusty
                        It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post

Canon 7D, 560mm, ISO 6400.

Formula Indy - 300mm will resolve Jupiter and the moons...but to get the moons you overexpose Jupiter (as in my shot), to get cloud detail on Jupiter you will lose the moons (300mm may be a 'bit' short to reveal cloud detail)
                          Thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot..also great photos at your site. I can not believe how those F1 cars changes from 03 to 07.
                          "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
                          " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

Originally posted by midtown View Post
                            There's a joke in there somewhere. :krusty
                            Not if you pronounce it correctly.

YOOR-uh-nuss

Comment

About 8 PM, watching the full moon rise, trailed by a very bright Jupiter (I assume!) as bright as Sirius in the winter.

BTW, what color is Uranus supposed to be?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X