• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Albums of the 1960's - Top 17 Part I

For those keeping score at home:

6 by the Beatles
    2 by Led Zepplin
    2 by Hendrix
    1 by Creedence, Beach Boys, the Who, Cash, Byrds, and Doors.
    sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band - the beatles
    19.23%
    wheels of fire - cream
    3.85%
    2.31%
    bayou country - creedence clearwater revival
    10.00%
    abbey road - the beatles
    13.08%
    2.31%
    pet sounds - beach boys
    12.31%
    electric ladyland - jimi hendrix experience
    10.00%
    2.31%
    tommy - the who
    14.62%
    magical mystery tour - the beatles
    7.69%
    2.31%

The poll is expired.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx
    I have the hots for Khaleesi...

THAT was really, really hard to do I have to go lay down now.

I've been really trying to ration my "automatic" Beatles album votes, though. They were a great band, but they shouldn't have dominated the list by this much. Maybe three.

Maybe we should have played them against each other more? I dunno - you've done a heckuva job, so no complaints. Thanks!
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

I can't help but be amazed at what CCR was able to accomplish in just 4 years.
      "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
        I can't help but be amazed at what CCR was able to accomplish in just 4 years.
        True but the Beatles only recorded for 7 years, releasing 12 studio albums comprised of 217 tracks. 216 solid winners and 'All You Need is Love.'

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
          True but the Beatles only recorded for 7 years, releasing 12 studio albums comprised of 217 tracks. 216 solid winners and 'All You Need is Love.'
          The Beatles have a LOT of stinkers - Most of the White Album - especially Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - the dumbest song in all of recorded history, and pretty much anything George did after Revolver
          "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Yeah, there's some 'music collage' and experiment stuff included that leads one to the conclusion that they could have used a bit of editing....

On the other hand, some of what became their most interesting and challenging material was the result of experimentation and happy accidents. Bear in mind, this stuff was recorded 40 years ago with some pretty primitive techniques, 4-channel recorders.

I saw a special a few years ago with McCartney at Abbey Road explaining how some of the sounds were developed. As an example, all the of the random notes and horns on 'Strawberry Fields' were just odd collections of noise and music that were recorded on random loops of acetate tape and then fed through players without any real control over how they played onto the final recordings - and there was never any practical way to reproduce them or move them around. Contrast that with today's infinite variations and computer storage and playback and what they did was little short of remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
              The Beatles have a LOT of stinkers - Most of the White Album - especially Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - the dumbest song in all of recorded history, and pretty much anything George did after Revolver
              Umm, 'Revolver' came out in 1966

'Blue Jay Way' was on Magical Mystery Tour, 1967
              'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' was on The White Album, 1968
              'Old Brown Shoe,' single, 1969
              'Only a Northern Song', Yellow Submarine, 1969
              'Something' and 'Here Comes the Sun' appear on Abbey Road, 1969
              'I Me Mine,' Let It Be, 1970

Comment

I'm talking about ROCK bands here. This is all according to personal taste, of course; I've just never been a big Beatles fan. I like music with some attitude and bluesy swagger, and they just never really had much of that. I'd have to give the edge to CCR as far as winning percentages go; seven years of Beatles records produced only 3 or so songs that I like. Creedence was cranking out great songs like gangbusters. "Born on the Bayou," "Green River," "Proud Mary," "Travellin' Band," "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?", "Fortunate Son," "Up Around the Bend," "Down On the Corner," "Run Through the Jungle," "Who'll Stop the Rain," "Bad Moon Rising," etc., to say nothing of their great covers of songs like "Midnight Special". I know I'm in the minority when it comes to the Fab Four, but I'd take Creedence or The Who or the Stones or Cream or Zeppelin over them any day.

Comment

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to the Fab Four, but I'd take Creedence or The Who or the Stones or Cream or Zeppelin over them any day.
                  I'm with you. I'm a fan of the early Beatles, but lets face it, if their first album was the White Album, or Magical Mystery Tour, they'd be considered average at best.
                  "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

I didn't care for the Beatles until Rubber Soul.
                    That along with Revolver, Peppers and Abbey Road would be on my desert island list.
                    CCR, while exremely popular and loved by me, occupy a more narrow place on my music spectrum.
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

-cap
                      ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

I'm talking about ROCK bands here.
                        Come on, 'Helter Skelter' rocks as hard as anything recorded:

Comment

Come on, 'Helter Skelter' rocks as hard as anything recorded:

Points for innovation, deductions for execution-heavy, but no energy. The Who, the Stones, Zeppelin, Cream, CCR, etc. had energy. I'd give the Beatles a high five for the creativity it took to write it, which is irrefutable, but they didn't really have the growling kind of spirit it takes to pull that kind of song off. For that reason I like Motley Crue's cover version on the Shout At the Devil album better. The Crue might not have the creativity, but their first two albums were as hard-edged as a diamond saw, which is what a song like this needs. The Beatles were just too "nice" to pull that off.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X