Worst. Cover Version. Ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst. Cover Version. Ever.

I used to think Natalie Merchant's sleepy rendition of 'Because the Night was the all-time low:

Compared to Patty Smyth's hit version:

Original by Bruce Springsteen:

Here's The Who 'Shakin' All Over':

And here's the incredibly bloodless cover I just heard.

The guitar player needs to get a better gig. This gal sounds like she's reading the words off a card.

Comment

Ain't that a Shame: Fat Domino v.s. Pat Boone

Comment

Van Halen's "Jump" as covered by Aztec Camera.

Last edited by stnkypete; 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Big Yellow Taxi:

Joni Mitchell

Amy Grant

Asked how he’d like to be remembered were he hit by a bus tomorrow, Tracy doesn’t hesitate: “I’m a race-car driver. At the last second, I’d swerve and avoid the bus.”

Comment

I think I got you all licked: Scissor Sisters' rendition of "Comfortably Numb."

Will post it when I get home unless one of y'all beat me to it.
            "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
            --Danny Noonan

Comment

I think that version is intended to be a bit tongue in cheek, like this one:

Comment

Madonna: American Pie

There, I win the thread.
                Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

On the other hand, Sonic Youth's cover of 'Get Into the Groove' was pretty, well, groovy:

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                    On the other hand, Sonic Youth's cover of 'Get Into the Groove' was pretty, well, groovy:

Their cover of the Carpenter's Superstar is incredible IMO

Worst cover - that crappy stripped down remake of Tears' for Fears Mad World

I was going to chime in that the Who's version of Shakin' all over was a cover of Chad Allen and the Guess who... but it turns out THEIRS was also a cover originally done by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates in 1960!
                    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Whoever told Sheryl Crow that covering "Sweet Child O' Mine" was a good idea needs to be smacked around a bit. Nor was Mariah Carey's version of Def Leppard's "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" the best idea.

On the other hand, Tori Amos' version of Slayer's "Raining Blood" is perfectly creepy.
                      "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Their cover of the Carpenter's Superstar is incredible IMO
                        'Superstar' was actually written by Delaney and Bonnie and Leon Russell, Delaney and Bonnie was the group that was working as opening act for Blind Faith when Clapton famously quit the "supergroup" to join them. A few months later, a former D & B backup singer named Rita Coolidge joined Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour and was given a solo shot while Joe was resting between songs. Her version of Superstar appeared on Cocker's live album and a young singer named Bette Midler heard it and began performing the song live. She sang it one night on Carson while she was working on her first album. The Carpenters saw the show and rushed out their version which was a hit; Midler's version appeared on her debut album, 'The Divine Miss M' a few months later.

Reportedly, Leon Russell wrote most of the song and it was based on a short affair between Clapton and the unknown Rita Coolidge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                          Whoever told Sheryl Crow that covering "Sweet Child O' Mine" was a good idea needs to be smacked around a bit.
                          I think we have the winner!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                            Worst cover - that crappy stripped down remake of Tears' for Fears Mad World
                            +1

And 'Into The Groove(y)' is pure gold.
                            RIP Daniel Clive Wheldon, 2005 & 2011 Indianapolis 500 Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                              'Superstar' was actually written by Delaney and Bonnie and Leon Russell, Delaney and Bonnie was the group that was working as opening act for Blind Faith when Clapton famously quit the "supergroup" to join them. A few months later, a former D & B backup singer named Rita Coolidge joined Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour and was given a solo shot while Joe was resting between songs. Her version of Superstar appeared on Cocker's live album and a young singer named Bette Midler heard it and began performing the song live. She sang it one night on Carson while she was working on her first album. The Carpenters saw the show and rushed out their version which was a hit; Midler's version appeared on her debut album, 'The Divine Miss M' a few months later.

Reportedly, Leon Russell wrote most of the song and it was based on a short affair between Clapton and the unknown Rita Coolidge.
                              On another note, supposedly Richard Carpenter was not too enamored with Sonic Youth's version. Personally I think Thurston's vocals give the line "long ago, and oh so far away" a haunting quality that really drives that line home. Considering what Sonic Youth's sound is all about, I thought it was very tasteful and respectful, and that goes for the video too.
                              "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X