Internet Connection Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Connection Help!

At the end of the month my wife and I are moving to a new house and changing internet providers mostly for convenience of a combined bill and cost. I currently have a Comcast cable modem but I'm switching to a AT&T DSL line. The cable modem claims it downloads at 6.0mpbs compared to the DSL line that I'm able to get which downloads at 3.0mpbs. Are these numbers accurate? Will I see a really big difference in downloading pictures and listening to music? Will it take twice as long to download a webpage? I'm kind of freaking out anyone have any experience or advice? Thanks in advance.
    There is no "I" in team but there is in Chip.
    Jimmy Vasser

...I have AT&T DSL and my average download speed is around 660 kbps and 330 kbps upload. Unlike Comcrap I don't have variations in my download speed and I'm not restricted to how much I can download in a certain time period.

I hate Comcrap cable so much that if I were to lose my DSL I believe I'd have to go with dial-up before I'd even consider cable internet access (at least through Comcrap). There's no way Comcrap ever gets 1 penny from me ever again.

As far as pages loading up, my neighbors have Comcrap internet and in comparision they're pages load up a little bit quicker. However it's not like a 'night & day difference' in fact it's not really that big of difference IMO.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

IMO, I didnt care for att/sbc dsl. Every month it seemed like there was more line charges and taxes and user fees than it was worth. And I have to add the service dept is horrible. it took 6 months to even get it working properly. they kept testing the line while I was on the phone with them and they kept telling me everything was ok. I finally got fed up and the next time I called and they gave me the 'stock' answer I asked if they could hear the noise ( sounded like crumpling paper) They said yes and I told them , theres the problem.( the modem kept losing its signal..verry annoying) They finally traced it to a bad pair of wires coming from the junction box 10 blocks away.
      We went with roadrunner ( cable) and its awesome. Cheaper than dsl, a bunch faster and no headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy500fanatic
        IMO, I didnt care for att/sbc dsl. Every month it seemed like there was more line charges and taxes and user fees than it was worth.
        We went with roadrunner ( cable) and its awesome. Cheaper than dsl and a bunch faster.

...I've never had a problem with anything through AT&T here in Indy, no additional charges, no technical problems, no down-time, natta. And it's only $12.95 a month, unlimited access and unlimited downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
          ...I've never had a problem with anything through AT&T here in Indy, no additional charges, no technical problems, no down-time, natta. And it's only $12.95 a month, unlimited access and unlimited downloads.
          We had the 19.95 IIRC it was called dsl express or something.( supposedly faster than the 'basic' dsl...)
          I got to figuring out the bill ( as we had phone service through them also) it was something like 24.95 each and every month.

ymmv

I just remembered , what was the cost of the modem??? Again, IIRC, with shipping it was approx $100.

Comment

We had the 19.95 IIRC it was called dsl express or something.( supposedly faster than the 'basic' dsl...)
            I got to figuring out the bill ( as we had phone service through them also) it was something like 24.95 each and every month.

ymmv

...my original package was something like that. I was originally getting about 330 kbps down & up for $21.95. I called them and complained (imagine that, me complaining ) that as a longtime customer I was paying more for less than new subscribers and informed them I was considering switching. They then gave me a better price and increased my speed.

Comment

...my original package was something like that. I was originally getting about 330 kbps down & up for $21.95. I called them and complained (imagine that, me complaining ) and informed them I was considering switching and they gave me a better price and increased my speed.
              Sweet...
              Yeah I tried that too but got 'well sir we've done all we can', to which I asked for a supervisor and said we are moving in the next few months and when we do, we are gone.
              So a bit over a year ago, we canned att/sbc..we got a great deal on a pair of cell phones ( one for my wife and the other is the house phone) and we already had cable so the RR was a no brainer.
              When all was said and done, its worked out to be $60 cheaper than the 'old' way.

Comment

Comcast/formerly Insight

5K-7K down
                690 mbps up

tested just seconds ago.

Comment

I switched from att to comcast and noticed right off the comcast was way faster. Comcast costs $33 a month and I was paying att $49 + all the bs taxes, 911 access etc. Att even accidently dropped me out of the system after I had service for 6 months and only took them 45 days and 8 hours on the phone to hook me back up! The didn't charge me for the time I was disconnected though-NICE! I'd buy a satellite connection before going back to att. However- Comcast isn't wothout problems either- my phone is real crackly right now and they aren't sure when they will be able to check it. It has been extremely wet here in Indiana this winter- possibly the cause? Its not a big deal, we all use the cellphones nowadays anyhow.

Comment

I just remembered , what was the cost of the modem??? Again, IIRC, with shipping it was approx $100.

...my modem from AT&T ( then SBC/Ameritech) was free, shipping and all. However since that time (2002 I believe), my modem went out and I had to purchase a new one which I got at Circuit City for $60.00.

Comment

Originally posted by wbr
                      I switched from att to comcast and noticed right off the comcast was way faster. Comcast costs $33 a month and I was paying att $49 + all the bs taxes, 911 access etc. Att even accidently dropped me out of the system after I had service for 6 months and only took them 45 days and 8 hours on the phone to hook me back up! The didn't charge me for the time I was disconnected though-NICE! I'd buy a satellite connection before going back to att. However- Comcast isn't wothout problems either- my phone is real crackly right now and they aren't sure when they will be able to check it. It has been extremely wet here in Indiana this winter- possibly the cause? Its not a big deal, we all use the cellphones nowadays anyhow.
                      Is it crackly just when its wet or raining or all the time???
                      A sbc line tech ( buddy of mine) told me that static in the line is caused by a bad 'pair' running from the service box to your home.
                      He also said that there are time when he'll open a box to connect new service and if he just bumps other wires ( told me it looks like a bunch of spaghetti in there lol) that someone WILL get effed.( his exact words)

Comment

...my modem from AT&T ( then SBC/Ameritech) was free, shipping and all. However since that time (2002 I believe), my modem went out and I had to purchase a new one which I got at Circuit City for $60.00.
                        I was actually looking for the copy of the serivce agreement to find out what the modem price was...we got ours early in '05.
                        It came 2nd day and remember the shipping was almost 30 bucks.
                        The place I worked ( at that time) changed the internet service also so when my modem went out, they gave me theirs. Free is always good!!

Comment

I was actually looking for the copy of the serivce agreement to find out what the modem price was...we got ours early in '05.
                          It came 2nd day and remember the shipping was almost 30 bucks.
                          The place I worked ( at that time) changed the internet service also so when my modem went out, they gave me theirs. Free is always good!!

...free is always good.

Comment

...my original package was something like that. I was originally getting about 330 kbps down & up for $21.95. I called them and complained (imagine that, me complaining ) that as a longtime customer I was paying more for less than new subscribers and informed them I was considering switching. They then gave me a better price and increased my speed.
                            That worked for me as well.

Told them I was going to switch to Charter's internet and Voip phone service and they were quick to offer me upgrades along with price reductions.

BTW, there was no way I was actually going to switch to that garbage junk from Charter.
                            Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by Indyknut
                              That worked for me as well.

Told them I was going to switch to Charter's internet and Voip phone service and they were quick to offer me upgrades along with price reductions.

BTW, there was no way I was actually going to switch to that garbage junk from Charter.

...I had no intention of switching either as I really had no other available option (other than Comcrap which I was in no way going to switch to).

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X