It's official, they stole everything that wasn't nailed down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official, they stole everything that wasn't nailed down

A speculator who misread the peaked housing market bought the house next door to me. They couldn't flip it, so they went the renter route. The renter in this case was a young Hispanic woman and her child. About a month before she departed in the middle of the night the rest of her clan descended.

This extended Hispanic family also rented a house on the next street up. They had a garage sale not long after the clan moved from the house next door up to that house. Featured in the garage sale where all the kitchen appliances that were formerly in the house next door.

Soon afterwards I noticed handymen replacing the interior doors. Replacing may not be the appropriate term as that implies that there is a door to be replaced.

Today topped the cake. An insurance adjuster came to my door asking if I knew when the 8' Arcadia door disappeared. They stole the sliding glass door! Being boarded up, I just assumed it was broken.

The condenser coil on the A/C unit has also departed. These get sold for their copper.
    I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Did nobody call the police?

Comment

...that slays me. I've a friend that has several 'rentals' and some of the stories he tells border the unbelieveable. One house they took all the copper plumbing in the entire house.
      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Please!.... I have no need to know this.... We are trying to sell our home in Naperville Ill., for the past twenty months. We are now renting it....

They seem like a nice couple............

aw sh*$t.... where's the Jack?
        ZOOOM
        "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
        James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

This copper selling thing is that big of a deal? What kind of money are folks getting for that stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
            This copper selling thing is that big of a deal? What kind of money are folks getting for that stuff?
            Almost thrice the price of aluminum:

http://www.metalprices.com/
            No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Oh my gosh...
              ...every couple weeks some idiot gets electrocuted out here stickin his fingers where they ought not to be.
              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
              ~~Groucho Marx
              I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

http://www.policemag.com/News/2008/0...wer-Lines.aspx
                "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Usually, it is the owner of a forclosed house that guts the house completely. I've heard stories of people nearly destroying a house and spray-painting derogatory things about the bank on the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb
                    ...in the above incident, he also said that they had taken all the wiring out of the house obviously to strip it down for the copper.

Originally posted by JSR
                    ...apparently it's enough that they feel it's worth stealing for. Seems to me it would be more work than it was worth.

I for awhile collected my discarded aluminum, which I thought was alot. For the time requiredand effort of smashing cans and having whatever storage system taking up space it all just wasn't worth the money returned.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
                      I for awhile collected my discarded aluminum, which I thought was alot. For the time requiredand effort of smashing cans and having whatever storage system taking up space it all just wasn't worth the money returned.
                      We drink a lot of pop, and it ends up being 1 or 1.5 cents per can. We get maybe $40 or $50 a year back.
                      No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler
                        We drink a lot of pop, and it ends up being 1 or 1.5 cents per can. We get maybe $40 or $50 a year back.

...yeah I drink alot of Coca-Cola Classic and after 6-8 months got like $40.00. It just didn't seem to justify the work I had put into the smashing of all the cans, the amount of storage space and the extremely long wait at the recycle center.

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
                          Yes. A good place will pay about 3 dollars a pound. Which a 5 gallon bucket with pieces wieghs almost 50 pounds if you are doing good. I always said I would take away materials in my contracts, sometimes you can scrap quite a bit.

A friend of mine would take turns with his brother sitting in a pickup truck at night with a shot gun on his job sites because they got hit several times. It was really bad for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
                            Kidding right?
                            You should see it here in Houston. They (ANYONE, black, brown, yellow, you name it) are stealing it left and right. HERE, it is state law for any of the scrap places to carry a license and to have any and all copper logged in. That and a certian person cant bring in more than a certian amount or something like that.
                            They are so callus here that the theives even steal the a/c units copper from the units ...even from their OWN CHURCH. Even crawl on top of old abandoned hosptials (endangering their own lives) to get the copper of the roofs. The hospital here was LBJ outside of downtown and we would call the police (from our bldg overlooking the hosp) and direct them to EXACTLY where the theives were while staying on the phone with them. "okay, a little to your right, now, hes right there at the corner and there is another one on the east side of the bldg on the 14th floor up". I know its not a laughing matter but it sure was an entertaining lunch hour in ones office with a window. Too bad none ever fell off.
                            ~"My life is slipping away,
                            I'm aging everyday,
                            But even when I'm grey,
                            I'll be grey MY WAY"~RUSH

Comment

The other trend out here is stealing bronze plaques.
                              Historical markers, memorials.
                              Across the street is a small one noting the name of the building and the year of its erection.
                              The corner has been pried away but they could not get it off.
                              Soon you will be reading about cemetaries being ripped off.
                              ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X