Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summary of Steve Alford's Season

In case you wondered...

What has happened in the past 4-plus months has been difficult for even the most optimistic Lobo fan to imagine. But first, a look back:

New head coach Steve Alford inherited four returning starters from a somewhat unpredictable bunch that finished 15-17 in 2006-07, just the program's 2nd losing season in the past 24 years. Picked to finish 5th in the MWC, New Mexico was 4-12 in the Mountain West, tying TCU for last place. The Lobos lost 12 conference games for the first time since 1959, and were 2-12 away from The Pit, 1-10 in true road games.

On Oct. 4, 2007, one of the team's returning starters - senior wing Tony Danridge - broke his leg and would miss the 2007-08 season. The steady Danridge was a three-year starter who averaged 12.5 points as a junior and was expected to be a tremendous complement to J.R. Giddens on the perimeter.

Now, to the present. With essentially the same players as last year, except for starting freshman point guard Dairese Gary, Alford's first Lobo team enters the Mountain West Conference with a 24-7 record, having tied the school mark for wins during the regular season and a 9-win improvement from a year ago. Picked to finish 4th in the MWC, the Lobos went from worst to 3rd by closing the conference season with 8 wins in 9 games. UNM has won 8 road games, tying a program record and equaling the total for the past five seasons (8-43) combined.

The past 22 games, only one starter from last year - Giddens - has been in the starting lineup. Giddens has been unworldly and the consummate teammate in his final collegiate season. Gary has been a steadying influence at the point. Heady sophomore Roman Martinez has probably made more non-box score plays than anyone on the team. Junior post Daniel Faris has stepped up when UNM has needed him the most. Two returning starters - senior guards Darren Prentice and Jamaal Smith along with 3-pointer marksman Chad Toppert - average nearly 27 points off the bench.

Even Alford has been mildly shocked at the response from his team and the slightly unexpected results from a season that has been a wonderful ride.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Alford would be a tremendous choice for the IU job, however:

I heard him speak last week on Fox Sports Radio about the IU job. He, of course, dodged speaking to his interest in the job, but made it pretty clear that he doesn't think much of the current makeup of the athletic department.

I don't think IU will get Alford, or even someone similarly talented, should Rick Greenspan still be in the AD's office.

Comment

Good for Alford. I still believe he should be coaching Iowa, but for some reason the good people there think we should be consistantly in the upper echelon of NCAA basketball.

Now don't get me wrong. There's nothing with trying to reach for higher aspirations, but Iowa has always been a football and wrestling school. If we make the NCAA's I'm always happy, but we always seem (except in 79-80) to underachieve in the tournament.

Heck, sometimes we underachieve in the season.

Anyway, good for Alford I've been to the campus at UNM and it's a wonderful one and truly one of the prettiest around.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cobain
        I still believe he should be coaching Iowa, but for some reason the good people there think we should be consistantly in the upper echelon of NCAA basketball.
        Ridiculous, IMO.

As for recruiting, what was Alford supposed to offer the potential players to lure them there... a world class wrestling program to watch on a regular basis?

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule
          Ridiculous, IMO.

As for recruiting, what was Alford supposed to offer the potential players to lure them there... a world class wrestling program to watch on a regular basis?
          I'd expect that from a Hoosier who doesn't know the Iowa program which is a clean one I might add. Well it would appear that Alford would offer a potential recruit the same thing that his predecessors like Lute Olson, George Raveling, Dr. Tom Davis, and now Coach Lickliter would offer and that's a first rate, solid education.

If they want to watch a first class, top notch wrestling team (something that doesn't exist in Indiana), that's a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cobain
            I'd expect that from a Hoosier who doesn't know the Iowa program which is a clean one I might add. Well it would appear that Alford would offer a potential recruit the same thing that his predecessors like Lute Olson, George Raveling, Dr. Tom Davis, and now Coach Lickliter would offer and that's a first rate, solid education.

If they want to watch a first class, top notch wrestling team (something that doesn't exist in Indiana), that's a bonus.

Two things:

1. I think Mopars was agreeing with you about Alford & Iowa.

2. Mopars is a Boiler...not a Hoosier.

Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

DOH!!! My bad - I was COMPLETELY agreeing with KC on his take. IMO, Alford had a heck of a time recruiting to Iowa & did some VERY impressive things while there - especially considering some of the things he was recruiting against.

My comment regarding the Iowa wrestling program was coming from the viewpoint that there isn't a lot to pull in talent on that campus - but they do have an incredible wrestling program - so maybe the fans that thought they should be "in the upper echelon" thought that he could use the wrestling program as entertainment to bring the players in.

I'm a huge Alford fan, grew up in Greenfield & got to see him play quite a bit while he was 5 yrs older than me in New Castle.
              One highlight of my (pitiful ) basketball career was Alford sitting in the stands as a senior & watching the Jr High New Castle tourney that we played in.
              He even congratulated me on my short guy abilities as point guard - then I asked him to sign my program.

Iowa lost out on letting him go. IU lost out even moreso by not making him part of the IU basketball family.

I was born & raised a huge fan of IU basketball. HUGE fan of Bob Knight, and a fan of playing basketball the way it was meant to be played.

Attended PU for my bachelors - befriended Matt Painter as a classmate. Received a masters from IUPUI.

I pretty much bleed cream & crimson & old gold & black.... wait a minute - is that even possible?

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule
                DOH!!! My bad - I was COMPLETELY agreeing with KC on his take. IMO, Alford had a heck of a time recruiting to Iowa & did some VERY impressive things while there - especially considering some of the things he was recruiting against.

My comment regarding the Iowa wrestling program was coming from the viewpoint that there isn't a lot to pull in talent on that campus - but they do have an incredible wrestling program - so maybe the fans that thought they should be "in the upper echelon" thought that he could use the wrestling program as entertainment to bring the players in.

I'm a huge Alford fan, grew up in Greenfield & got to see him play quite a bit while he was 5 yrs older than me in New Castle.
                One highlight of my (pitiful ) basketball career was Alford sitting in the stands as a senior & watching the Jr High New Castle tourney that we played in.
                He even congratulated me on my short guy abilities as point guard - then I asked him to sign my program.

Iowa lost out on letting him go. IU lost out even moreso by not making him part of the IU basketball family.

I was born & raised a huge fan of IU basketball. HUGE fan of Bob Knight, and a fan of playing basketball the way it was meant to be played.

Attended PU for my bachelors - befriended Matt Painter as a classmate. Received a masters from IUPUI.

I pretty much bleed cream & crimson & old gold & black.... wait a minute - is that even possible?
                My apologies to you Mopar!

I stand corrected! (Take that seeSaw150)

Guess I've been on a bad roll lately. I read it and took it as a shot and after reading it again and reading TD's response and yours, I'm sorry. I've been getting worked up on the other threads and reneging on my Chief Joseph promise.

Again my apologies. I suppose it is possible to bleed cream/crimson & old gold/black.

Comment

No problem, and thanks for the PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X