Bypassing smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing smoking ban

It was found in Minnesota, that the smoking ban does not cover performers during a stage production. So, bars and restaurants are now designating all their patrons as actors. Thus during the show, they may smoke.

"Freedom, just around the corner from you,
    With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

And the first non-smoking worker that comes down with lung cancer from second hand smoke should sue the hell out of the establishment for allowing the customers to break the law. Putting a button on your shirt that says "Act now" doesn't make you a performer.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa
        It was found in Minnesota, that the smoking ban does not cover performers during a stage production. So, bars and restaurants are now designating all their patrons as actors. Thus during the show, they may smoke.
        That is friggin brilliant!!!

Comment

cigarettes can show the true hypocrisy of too many politicians on the local and national level.

they apply never ending new taxes on a pack but then say you cant smoke them anywhere.

so they want us to buy the product, just as long as we dont use the product

they always say how bad they are and how many children get asthma from 2nd hand smoke but still create many new programs funded with the tax money from the sale of same
          Live like Dave

Comment

As an ex smoker, Im torn between the sides.

Im jsut sick of government running my life and telling me whats good for me and whats bad for me.

Natural selection hasnt caught up with me in over 40 + years now, so I guess Im doing something right.

If I develope cancer, its my fault, not an establishments.
            The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by Plectraholica
              As an ex smoker, Im torn between the sides.

Im jsut sick of government running my life and telling me whats good for me and whats bad for me.
              same here on both comments
              Live like Dave

Comment

Good for them. We all know smoking is bad for us, but why the hell did we start making it illegal for business owners to decide for themselves whether or not to allow smoking in their own establisments?
                Sure, make them advertise that they are a smoking establishment so the non-smokers don't have to go near it if they don't want. But don't tell a business that they can't decide for themselves how they want to run it.
                Livin' the good life as poorly as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ
                  cigarettes can show the true hypocrisy of too many politicians on the local and national level.

they apply never ending new taxes on a pack but then say you cant smoke them anywhere.

so they want us to buy the product, just as long as we dont use the product
                  If you can show me where any politician has wanted us to buy cigarettes I'll eat my dirty shorts.
                  "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                  ~~Groucho Marx
                  I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Frankly, this whole idea of circumventing the law is inane.
                    Some will claim a business has a right to be run the way the owner wants.
                    Some will claim that a restaurant, though privately owned, is a public place.
                    I fall in the latter category.
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

I don't think that there has ever been a study that points to second hand smoking causes any kind of illness.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa
                        I don't think that there has ever been a study that points to second hand smoking causes any kind of illness.
                        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062700710.html
                        ~~Groucho Marx

Comment

When they passed it here in Indy, one of the cornerstones was that secondhand smoke KILLS 25 K every year. Im still waiting to see death certificate number one that states that second hand smoke was the culprit. It may have contributed to deaths, but wasnt the main purveyor as it was portrayed. It would have surely made the death certificate if that were the case.

I was very cognizant of not pushing my bad habit onto my kids. I never smoked in front of them, I always smoked outside and never in a car with them. I did this on my own free will, not because the government told me to.
                          The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

I'm not a doctor or a scientist, but I am a smoker. I used to work for a company that put in a smoking policy. This was a while back, so it will sound antiquated because by today's standards it is. But you could smoke in your own office. You could smoke in another smoker's office and you could smoke in common areas. One of the first challenges to this policy was by our department secretary whose desk was in a common area. You probably don't blame her, right? Of course you don't know her either. In addition to being lazy and incompetent to the point that I had to take important letters to another department or go outside the company to be typed properly, she was also just a general pain in the rear. Oh, one more thing. She was a smoker. I know because she bummed cigs from me all the time.

Same company a few months later. I applied for and got another job in a different location. On the day I arrived in the new location, my new boss said, "It's kind of late to mention this, but nobody in our office smokes." I told him that he was correct, it was kind of late to mention it, but I would abide by the company policy. He frowned because he knew the company policy allowed me to smoke in my own office. The nature of my job only had me in the office for a few minutes to an hour in the morning and usually the same in the evening. The rest of the time I was out making calls. I worked there for 3 months, smoking in my office when I was there, but not there a lot. No complaints whatsoever about smoke or smell. None! Then one day someone from another department walked by my office and SAW me smoking. The first complaint arrived the next morning. For 3 months nobody complained or seemed to notice, but as soon as they had a visual, the complaints came in.

Same company, earlier time. The guy in the office next to me had asthma (sp) and was allergic to smoke. He and I had lunch together about once a week and coffee several times a week away from the office, always where smoking was allowed. And when ever we traveled out of town for meetings, he always asked to ride with me.

So I question the actual effects of second hand smoke. I try not to be annoying when I smoke. I don't smoke in the house at my mother's or at anyone else's house unless they specifically invite me to do so. I stand outside in the weather such as the snow, wind and cold we had yesterday.

As far as a politician asking someone to smoke, they do it by raising the taxes on smokers. It's much easier to raise sin taxes on a minority that admits they have a nasty habit than to ask the general population to pay their share of the bills.
                            Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb

Down in the column, "Does not present new scientific data....just analysis....

So, looks like my claim still stands.

Personally, I quite smoking 1-1/2 years ago. Agree, it is not good for the person smoking.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X