Do you change your own oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you change your own oil?

And if so, what do you drive, how often do you change it, and what kind of oil do you use?

Right now I drive a 1999 Malibu V6, it has Mobil 1 5W-30 in it for the winter, and I change it myself every 5000 km (3200-ish miles).

How about you?
    "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

10 minute oil/lube changes are so cheap & efficient that it's lunacy to change your own oil.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

...spring through autumn I change it myself. For that time or two needed through the dead of winter, 9 times out of 10 I'll take it somewhere because I don't have a garage. The thing about taking it somewhere is your going to pay 3 to 4 times more than if you did it yourself....and in about the same amount of time.
      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector
        10 minute oil/lube changes are so cheap & efficient that it's lunacy to change your own oil.
        $9 for oil, $3 for a filter, 10 minutes and the satisfaction of knowing it is done right and taking the time to look your vehicle over for all the stuff the quick lube guys don't care to think about so you can catch problems before they cost money.

Preventative maitenence, and you have all those hours you are at home and your vehicle is at home too to get it done.
        "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

Im a hands on kinda guy. If it involves crackin open the engine casing, Im all for paying someone to do it for me, but if its not, I jump in myself.

I think its more of a pat on my own back to myself and knowing that it was performed correctly.

I had a freind that took his little toy truck to a quickie change ever since he owned it, he had the records to back it up too. The lower mech (LOL) told him that the filter was cross threaded and it would be a very expensive repair to fix that for him and the mech warned that this is why people should take it to the professionals, as described by him. He flipped out when the finger was pointed to him that they had infact stripped the threads for the oil filter. Lesson learned as the quickie joint didnt do a thing for him but cause an avoidable idiotic repair. Lets just say that my buddy is with quickie changes.....

I use Pennzoil 5w-30 every 3K miles with AC Delco filters.
          The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

'93 Caddy with 180K, '01 Grand Caravan with whatever the wife has put on it...

I change mine @ 5K miles or as soon as the weather allows me to do it in the driveway...

Oil-whatever name-brand is on sale, 10/30 all year around...

Fram filters or whatever name-brand is available...

I dump the waste oil in a nearby creek.

Kidding. I take it to AutoZone/Advance and dump it in their used oil recycling tank thingy.

I'm green like that.
            ...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

Comment

I knew a guy who changed his oil every 30,000 miles whether it needed it or not. Said he didn't believe in oil changes.

Comment

Originally posted by turnrightgoleft
                I knew a guy who changed his oil every 30,000 miles whether it needed it or not. Said he didn't believe in oil changes.
                Well, how are his cars doing?
                The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by Marc P. Gregoire
                  $9 for oil, $3 for a filter, 10 minutes and the satisfaction of knowing it is done right and taking the time to look your vehicle over for all the stuff the quick lube guys don't care to think about so you can catch problems before they cost money.

Preventative maitenence, and you have all those hours you are at home and your vehicle is at home too to get it done.
                  Same here.

When I think about the youth of today and their "If I do the job right great, if I make a mistake, oh well" attitude, I think I'll continue to change my own oil till I can't crawl under the car anymore.
                  Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Zoomie
                    I dump the waste oil in a nearby creek.
                    Wuss. I drink mine.
                    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

I used to but I work at a dealership. For $24.95 I let the guys do it and know it's done well. Also it's recorded that way in case I'd ever need assistance due to an oil related problem.

I wouldn't go to a quick lube place to save my life. The up sells on needless things run wild at those joints (if you let them...).
                      ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector
                        What TD said.

Comment

I used to. Now, I just zip through Jiffy Lube. I value my time.

Comment

I change mine.

roughly every 3-4,000 miles over the past 135,000 miles on my '02 Ford F150 with Pennzoil 5w-30 and a Fram PH-2 (I shop at Walmart)
                            Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
                            Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

I work at a dealership as well, so the guys in the back do it. Depending on service specials, it is around $20 for all fluids, quick inspection, and a hand wash and vacuum.

It'd be insanity to do it any other way.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X