Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indy Star lunacy (IU B-Ball related)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Indy Star lunacy (IU B-Ball related)

    Terry Hutchens must have been desperate for something to write about because today he tried to make a comparison between IU's '93 team and this year's team.

    Give me a freaking break, Terry. IU's '93 team was the best in the country when healthy and they won the Big 10 against far better teams than those that make up the Big 10 this year. This year's IU team is a nice team that will have to consider it a good year if they make it to the second weekend of the tournament.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

    Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

  • #2
    This year's team has 1st round upset, written all over it. They aren't a good team. Just 5 individuals out there, who have no clue how to play the game and no understanding of the concept of defense.

    Terry must have been drinking again.
    IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

    "I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Truth Detector

      Give me a freaking break, Terry. IU's '93 team was the best in the country when healthy and they won the Big 10 against far better teams than those that make up the Big 10 this year. This year's IU team is a nice team that will have to consider it a good year if they make it to the second weekend of the tournament.
      Agreed. The 1993 IU team had 4 future NBA 1st round picks (Cheaney, G. Graham, Henderson, Evans) and a 2nd rounder (Bailey) and were coming off a Final Four season, and were coached by Bob Knight at the height of his powers. They were also playing against Big 10 teams that actually had high talent juniors and seniors on the squad (as well as the Fab 5 at Michigan and Glenn Robinson at Purdue).

      This team? A sure fire lottery pick in Gordon, a likely draftee in White, and little else in terms of guys that will play at the next level, coached by a pair of slightly above average coaches. The Big 10 is the weakest it has been in quite some time, and this team still can't win it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jkg
        This team? A sure fire lottery pick in Gordon, a likely draftee in White, and little else in terms of guys that will play at the next level, coached by a pair of slightly above average coaches. The Big 10 is the weakest it has been in quite some time, and this team still can't win it.
        The more I see Gordon, the more un-impressed I am with his game. He doesn't handle the ball well (his wrist might be the issue there), he has NO in-between game (its either shoot the 3 or drive all the way to the basket) and he can't guard anyone.

        He is a short shooting guard, who will be abused on defense in the NBA.

        There is some good individual talent on IU's team (Crawford has talent; just a 10 cent brain) and Bassett is the best pure shooter on the team. But, they are all individual players. Its a miracle (and a product of their schedule) that they have the record they have.
        IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

        "I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jkg
          and were coached by Bob Knight at the height of his powers.

          Is this anything like Darth Vadar in Episode 5?
          "Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children." Ancient Indian Proverb :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jimmy Hendricks
            The more I see Gordon, the more un-impressed I am with his game. He doesn't handle the ball well (his wrist might be the issue there), he has NO in-between game (its either shoot the 3 or drive all the way to the basket) and he can't guard anyone.

            He is a short shooting guard, who will be abused on defense in the NBA.

            There is some good individual talent on IU's team (Crawford has talent; just a 10 cent brain) and Bassett is the best pure shooter on the team. But, they are all individual players. Its a miracle (and a product of their schedule) that they have the record they have.

            I don't disagree with you except that I think EJ is a good defensive player. At this point I'd rather keep Bassett than Gordon if I had to choose. I do think he's a very mentally mature kid and it's obvious his teammates hold him in high esteem so there is more than the physical skill set. He is also leading the Big 10 in scoring, isn't he? Regardless I'm not seeing him as a lottery pick. I also don't see greatness for DJ in the pros. He's a 6'9" post-up player. Outside of the Big 10 I don't see that working.
            Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

            Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

            Comment


            • #7
              That might be the most ridiculous piece ever penned by Terry Hutchens.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Truth Detector
                At this point I'd rather keep Bassett than Gordon if I had to choose. I do think he's a very mentally mature kid and it's obvious his teammates hold him in high esteem so there is more than the physical skill set. .
                Bassett is about the only player than hasn't somewhat "given up" with Sampson gone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm trying to figure out exactly what Gordon does good, except turn the ball over, and get fouled late in games when we're leading.

                  His shooting sucks. He finishes OK. Turns the ball over way to many times, and makes poor decisions regarding pulling up for the short jumper (or maybe not, since he can't shoot).

                  Other than a hot night at Carbondale, he hasn't shot worth a damn.

                  What happened?
                  "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Truth Detector
                    Terry Hutchens must have been desperate

                    Isn't he always?


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mattndallas
                      His shooting sucks.
                      Pretty harsh for a guard shooting 46% from the field and 38% behind the arc.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jkg
                        Pretty harsh for a guard shooting 46% from the field and 38% behind the arc.
                        I stand by it. In tough games, where we need clutch shooting, or that streak extending 3, he fails. Look at his stats against the ranked teams we have played. Did you see some of his shots yesterday?

                        I never thought his shot looked that good, but in the HS clips I had seen, they tended to go in. Now, terrible.
                        "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mattndallas
                          Look at his stats against the ranked teams we have played. Did you see some of his shots yesterday?
                          .
                          I did. I also saw the first MSU game when he was 9-15.

                          I agree with you that he's not a great shooter, especially when he forces things, but he's not awful or even sucky .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jkg
                            I did. I also saw the first MSU game when he was 9-15.

                            I agree with you that he's not a great shooter, especially when he forces things, but he's not awful or even sucky .
                            Compared to the hype, he is.

                            His long range jumper is Stemler-esque of late.

                            Look at Bassett and his marksman-like ability. Even Crawford hits more "damn we needed that one" 3's than Gordon.

                            Gordon reminds me of the kid on my brother's HS team that would average 20 ppg by scoring 35 against outmatched teams, but then dissappearing in big games. Stats don't tell the whole story, and so far, I don't see "it" in this kid.

                            I see a talented-for-a-freshman player, trying to play like a lottery pick, and he ain't.

                            Thus, he does more bad than good by "forcing", and is slotted to suckdom by mattndallas.
                            "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Gordon is a freaking freshman for God's sake!!
                              Have a very blessed day!

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X