Cranes Over Central Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranes Over Central Indiana

Did anyone else get to see and hear the cranes flying over central Indiana today? (Sunday) I'm not sure if these are whooping cranes or sandhill cranes. Does anyone know? It was REALLY neat to see them overhead--way up high.
    BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Didn't see them, but I wish I had.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

No, I missed them. 95% sure they were sandhills, they are really the only big bird we see in central Indiana that migrates through in big flocks, as the geese we see are mostly just locals messing around, and the whooping cranes are still pretty rare, I think. The ducks do it at night, mostly.

I love hearing their voice, and seeing them. Some of them had a short trip down south, as the hardy ones were still heading south in late Dec and early Jan, or even later.

Comment

I saw a huge flock of them, thought it was geese at first, then when they got closer I could tell they weren't.
        Brian's Wish
        Artemis Images
        TrackForum Store
        TrackForum store 2

Comment

whooping cranes are still very rare, although they are making a big comeback. I don't remember the exact numbers, but at one time they were down to 20 and now are more like 260. I read the other day where a pair of them were seen in TN, so it's possible they came over Indiana. I don't know if that is their normal route, but basically they come from Michigan (don't quote me on that part) and winter in South Texas. There may also be some in Florida.
          Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Heard some sort of weird flocks of birds going overhead as I was fixing shingles on my roof! Several groups.
            No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Went out yesterday with a photographer friend & saw a flock of sandhills just north of Montezuma yesterday; they are amazing birds to see & really will let a person get relatively close. Just a short distance away was a flock of approximately 15 trumpeter swans - they'll be heading north very soon. It's just amazing to see them in the wild. Also saw about 20 bald eagles heading to the Wabash at sunrise, which is an awesome sight.

I just didn't realize what an amazing variety of avian life there is so close to home!
              #BCForever

Comment

...I suppose because of my occupation I had thought that the topic was something along these lines;

As for the actual topic, no I must have missed them.
                ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

i noticed a whole bunch of cranes in a field along the river coming across southern crossing road here in colmbus this morning.

unfortunately, i did not have my camera with me.
                  http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

They were most likely sandhill cranes. The whooping cranes are still few. The Jasper-Pulaski State Fish and Wildlife Park in Indiana gets a lot of them as they migrate.
                    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
                    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
                    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

We were out in Kempton IN. (western Tipton County) and saw the cranes flying over. Their general flight direction would have been towards the Jasper-Pulaski area.
                      Jim Naden Atlanta, Indiana

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"
                      Thomas Sowell

Comment

I saw them hanging (flying) around the Wal Mart parking lot at I-65 and Lafayette Road Saturday afternoon.
                        www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

I saw them AND heard them...

Comment

Went up to the Jasper-Pulaski State Fish and Wildlife Park early last December.

Beautiful birds. You could watch them circling way up high and then they'd descend to the area pictured.

This field was full of deer as well.

Not race cars, but kinda cool....

I took this one shooting through the cheap binocular thingies the park has...

...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
                              ...I suppose because of my occupation I had thought that the topic was something along these lines;

As for the actual topic, no I must have missed them.

I read about a heavy equipment show in Houston, probably 20 years or so back. The equipment shown was so heavy they only had the show something like every 4 years instead of annually like most product shows. They dug a hole in the parking lot 8' deep, filled it with cement for a foundation, then built a crane to build a crane to build the crane they were showing. That was a big crane.
                              Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X