Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good grief. Shelby sues his fan club.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...&rssfeed=rss01

Within the last couple of years, ol' Carroll has sued Pete Brock, the designer of the Daytona Coupe, and Rick Kopec, who has been perhaps the major keeper of the flame.

If, as he claims in the article, he's truly worried about his legacy, he might recognize that he tarnishes it far more by running to court every two weeks than if he simply basked in the glory that's rightfully his.
    "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Stories like this are the reason I stopped buying old Shelby's Chili kits. The two alarm kits are better anyway.

Comment

Shelby claims the club has not been involving him in marketing efforts and providing him with financial statements--requirements of a licensing agreement with the club.
      If this is true, doesn't he have a point?
      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

There is a story in the LA Times Saturday business section about how Shelby is getting sued by the widow of Toby Halicki, the guy who did Gone in 60 seconds.
        It is about Shelby building knockoffs of the car used in the 2000 movie.
        She is saying copyright infringement or something like that.
        Maybe he is doing to this to offset that.

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14
          If this is true, doesn't he have a point?
          Only on top of his head. Rick Kopec ran that club out of his pocket for 20 years, back in the days when SAAC was a money losing proposition. As soon as Shelby got wind that it was finally breaking even, he wanted a piece.

Badger - I use the same stuff. Wick Fowler > Carroll Shelby.
          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

I know Shelby pretty well, have for a number of years (over 30). In that time, he's gone from bright spirited entrepreneur, who sold everything he had for a quick profit and immediate cash, to a sour old curmudgeon who now extorts large sums from people (who have helped him in the past) through litigation. What he really wants is to have it both ways... take the quick cash he got for selling the stuf back in the day, and regain the ownership today.

His foundation is a sham, with lots of unanswered accounting and tax issues, especially regarding how much money actually gets used for charitable works. His "continuation" Cobras, the ones with the "found" NOS serial number plates are nothing but a fraud, something even he laughs about.

If you want to know the Shelby those closest to him know, read the book "Snakebit" by Eric Davidson. It's the closest thing to the real Carroll Shelby that's made it to print.

Shelby would (and has) sue his family if he thought there would be a dollar won.

Comment

Shelby isn't smart enough to know it, but IMO many of the kit car companies that he has sued have played a HUGE role in building the value of his name. Remember - he quit building cars in '68, and only built a few hundred. Without the thousands of kit cars running around in the 70s and 80s, it's likely that the Shelby Cobra would have faded to a small core group of well-heeled aficionados. Without people like Arntz, Shell Valley, Factory Five, and others, darn few people today would even know what a Cobra is/was.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X