Proud Dad here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud Dad here

My #2 son earned his Boy Scout Eagle Rank tonight. I can't explain what this feels like, but having both sons wearing Eagle patches, well, I'm walking 10 feet off the ground. I'll only have them for a couple more years, but then I'm releasing two capable men into this world.

I'd write more but I need to go run around and shout for a while.

Congrats...sounds like you've done a good job...as have your boys...

Comment

Puts them in some fine company, that does. And it sure does look good on a resume'.
      You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Congratulations!
          There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

...big-time congrats.

Oddly enough, recently I was rumaging through some stuff in a closet and came across my old Cub Scout tie-clip, found my Bobcat, Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear patches and my Webelos Scout badges.
              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by Cant_hit_apex
                My #2 son earned his Boy Scout Eagle Rank tonight. I can't explain what this feels like, but having both sons wearing Eagle patches, well, I'm walking 10 feet off the ground. I'll only have them for a couple more years, but then I'm releasing two capable men into this world.

I'd write more but I need to go run around and shout for a while.
                Your pride is highly justifiable.

Eagle Scout requires long term dedication and diligence, traits that should take him far in life. Good job.
                Jim Naden Atlanta, Indiana

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"
                Thomas Sowell

Comment

Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode

Puts them in some fine company.
                  Yes it does indeed.

Eagle Scout astronauts

ADAMSON, James C.-Shuttle Astronaut
                  ARMSTRONG, Neil A.-Gemini 8, Apollo 11-1st man to walk on the Moon
                  BAGIAN, James P.-Shuttle Astronaut
                  BLUFORD, Guion S. Jr.-Shuttle Astronaut-first african-American astronaut to fly
                  BOWERSOX, Kenneth D.-Shuttle and ISS astronaut
                  BRADY, Charles E.-Shuttle astronaut
                  CARR, Gerald P.-Skylab astronaut
                  CARTER, Manley Lanier "Sonny" Jr.-Shuttle astronaut
                  CHAFFEE, Roger B.-Apollo astronaut, died in the Apollo 1 fire on Jan 27, 1967
                  CHAMITOFF, Gregory Errol-Shuttle/ISS astronaut-scheduled to fly on STS-124 in May
                  COVEY, Richard O.-Shuttle Astronaut
                  CREIGHTON, John O.-Shuttle astronaut
                  DUKE, Charles M., Jr.-Apollo astronaut, CapCom during Apollo 11, walked on the Moon on Apollo 16
                  EISELE, Donn F.-Apollo 7
                  FORRESTER, Patrick G.-Shuttle astronaut
                  FOSSUM, Michael E.-Shuttle astronaut, flew on STS-121, post-Columbia Return to Flight mission
                  FULLERTON, Charles G.-MOL/Shuttle astronaut, flew 1977 Shuttle Approach & Landing test flights and later space missions, only recently retired as a NASA test pilot
                  GREGORY, William G.-Shuttle astronaut
                  GRIGGS, S. David-Shuttle astronaut
                  HOFFMAN, Jeffrey A.-Shuttle astronaut
                  JOHNSON, Gregory H.-Scheduled to fly STS-123 on March 11. One of two active astronauts named Gregory Johnson.
                  JONES, Thomas D.-Shuttle astronaut
                  LEE, Mark C.-Shuttle Astronaut
                  LIND, Don L.-Skylab Rescue standby crew/Shuttle astronaut
                  LINDSEY, Steven W.-Shuttle Astronaut, currently Chief of the Astronaut Corps
                  LOVELL, James A. Jr.-Gemini 7 (first orbital rendezvous w/Gemini 6A), Gemini 12 (last Gemini flight), Apollo 8 (first flight to orbit the Moon, read from Genesis from lunar orbit Christmas Eve 1968), Apollo 13 (aborted lunar mission often cited as NASA's finest hour)
                  McCOOL, William C.-Shuttle astronaut, died during the re-entry of Columbia on Feb 1, 2003
                  McCULLEY, Michael J.-Shuttle astronaut
                  O'LEARY, Brian T.-selected as astronaut in 1967 but never flew
                  ONIZUKA, Ellison S.-Shuttle astronaut, died aboard Challenger Jan 28, 1986
                  OSWALD, Stephen S.-Shuttle astronaut
                  PARAZYNSKI, Scott E.-Shuttle astronaut
                  PETTIT, Donald R.-Shuttle/ISS astronaut
                  REIGHTLER, Kenneth S. Jr.-Shuttle astronaut
                  SEARFOSS, Richard A.-Shuttle astronaut
                  SEE, Elliot M. Jr.-Named Commander of Gemini 9 but killed in T-38 crash during training
                  TANNER, Joseph R.-Shuttle astronaut
                  TRULY, Richard H.-MOL/Shuttle astronaut, flew ALT flights and space missions, first astronaut to be named NASA Administrator.
                  WALKER, David M-Shuttle astronaut

King's Scout (equivalent to Eagle Scout)

LLEWELLYN, John A.-Selected as an astronaut in 1967 but never flew.

http://usscouts.org/eagle/eagleastronauts.asp

Of the 312 pilots and scientists selected as astronauts since 1959, at least 207 have been identified as having been Scouts or active in Scouting. The list includes 39 Eagle Scouts, 25 Life Scouts, 14 Star Scouts, 26 First Class Scouts, 17 Second Class Scouts, 13 Tenderfoot Scouts, 3 Explorers, 25 Cub Scouts, 10 Webelos Scouts, 1 King’s Scout, 2 Wolf Scouts, and 32 with unknown ranks, including 27 who were Girl Scouts.

Of the 27 men to travel to the moon on the Apollo 9 (Er, Apollo 9 was an Earth-orbit mission to test-fly the LM, guys-Apollos 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 17 went to lunar orbit, the lunar surface or lunar free-return-SF) through Apollo 17 missions, 24 were Scouts, including 11 of the 12 men who physically walked on the moon's surface, and all three members of the crew of Apollo 13.

All three of the astronauts who died in the Apollo 1 fire, four of the seven who died in the Challenger launch explosion, and five of the seven who died in the Columbia re-entry explosion (Technically neither accidents were "explosions" but that's OK-SF) were Scouts.
                  "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

It's a good crowd to hang with, for sure. Good job with them both, Dad.

Right now, my stepson is so flipping close to Eagle he can taste it--yet he has no self-motivation to finish it. If I put my foot between his glutes he works on it, but if I don't, he doesn't.

So, because I want it to mean something to him, I'm backing off, and hoping his job on summer camp staff this year creates the self-motivation he needs. He's 16 next month and still has time.

Some things you have to earn on your own. Eagle Scout is one of them.
                    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                    --Danny Noonan

Comment

I faded out of scouting one rank shy of becoming an Eagle. This is one of my biggest regrets in Life. (Pun intended).

To this day, if I learn someone earned the Eagle rank in scouting, they go up several notches in my book.

A proud achievement, to be sure.
                      I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

Comment

Congratulations on both becomming Eagle Scouts. It ia good thing to have. I got mine a long time ago and still have it tucked away in my dresser at home.

Bill

Comment

From one Eagle to another, Please tell your sons Congratulations!

El Grillo Cantor

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X