Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DST costs Hoosiers $8.6 million dollars (merged threads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DST costs Hoosiers $8.6 million dollars (merged threads)

http://indiana.typepad.com/fwob/2008...ht-saving.html

Excerpt:

"Having the entire state switch to daylight-saving time each year, rather than stay on standard time, costs Indiana households an additional $8.6 million in electricity bills. They conclude that the reduced cost of lighting in afternoons during daylight-saving time is more than offset by the higher air-conditioning costs on hot afternoons and increased heating costs on cool mornings."

UNBELIEVEABLE! :mad:

The geniuses who supported DST for Indiana told us that it would be good for our economy, and they pointed to a 30-year-old study to "prove" that it would reduce our energy usage.

Suprise! I know, get over it.
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Originally posted by Ren Butler
    "Having the entire state switch to daylight-saving time each year, rather than stay on standard time, costs Indiana households an additional $8.6 million in electricity bills. They conclude that the reduced cost of lighting in afternoons during daylight-saving time is more than offset by the higher air-conditioning costs on hot afternoons and increased heating costs on cool mornings."
    So if I read this correctly, DST makes mornings colder and afternoons hotter.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
      So if I read this correctly, DST makes mornings colder and afternoons hotter.
      No, it changes people patterns of when they are home and in need of lighting and temperature control.
      No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

This horse died some time ago.

If you need something to squawk about, try the property tax issue.
        "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

Comment

Originally posted by diftw
          This horse died some time ago.

Actually, the horse died decades ago. But one side kept pushing the issue despite losing thirty straight times. They finally won once and now they declare it over.

Sorry, doesn't work that way.

Comment

No, it changes people patterns of when they are home and in need of lighting and temperature control.

This time of year my furnace is on 24/7. In the summer my A/C is on 24/7.
            Center Grove Trojans
            2008 5A Football State Champs
            2015 6A Football State Champs
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Savings on energy costs were never my motivation to support DST.

Our youth sports programs save a tremendous amount of money thanks to DST.

How does the furnace time get affected by DST?
              Center Grove Trojans
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

http://indiana.typepad.com/fwob/2008...ht-saving.html

Excerpt:

UNBELIEVEABLE! :mad:

The geniuses who supported DST for Indiana told us that it would be good for our economy, and they pointed to a 30-year-old study to "prove" that it would reduce our energy usage.

Suprise! I know, get over it.
                Isn't that a dollar per person, per year?
                There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

These threads are just too funny.
                  Eff LBD!

Comment

DST Rawks!!!!

Comment

...I was totally against DST, and I still miss the early sunrises in the summer. However I will admit to kinda liking it staying light out until 10 o'clock at night. Regarding the profitability of DST, a red flag almost always immediately goes up whenever a politician tells me something will make money....that's almost basically a promise that in reality it won't.
                      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
                        a red flag almost always immediately goes up whenever a politician tells me something will make money....that's almost basically a promise that in reality it won't.

Brilliant!!!

Center Grove Trojans
                        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Let me get this straight... people used more energy now than a couple of years ago and this group attributes that SOLELY to DST? What about my household that uses more electricity now because we have more electrical devices but have been on DST the whole time?

Find what you want with the results, I guess.
                          "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector
                            Savings on energy costs were never my motivation to support DST.
                            Understood. But that was one of the reasons cited by the hucksters who sold us this lemon.

Yeah, I know: the politicians lie about everything. Excuse me if I'm not okay with that.

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed
                              Let me get this straight... people used more energy now than a couple of years ago and this group attributes that SOLELY to DST? What about my household that uses more electricity now because we have more electrical devices but have been on DST the whole time?
                              If they knew what they were doing, I'm sure they adjusted for that.

I know that my wife will be using more electricity in the morning when we "spring back" in a couple weeks. Not to mention having to drive to work in the dark again. :mad:

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X