TV Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Alert

On Turner Classic Movies tonight is a movie that is not very often seen on TV. It is "On The Beach," a story about the end of the world due to radiation contamination. This movie has some auto racing scenes which is part of the movie. I think it has Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, and Fred Astaire as the race car driver.

It will be on tonight, Feb. 27, 2008 and 8 p.m. (eastern time).

Especially good movie if you like the song, "Waltzing Matilda."

I caught it a couple of months ago. Wasn't really my type of movie.

Comment

From a book written by Neville Shute. Fred Astair's Ferrari is
      All rides are bought. But occasionally the currency is talent.

Comment

The auto racing scenes, to a racing fan, will seem ridiculous to the point of being hysterical given the mixed venues and makes of cars.

An example of why bother filming scenes when we have all these reels of race footage we can use.

I think there was much of Riverside in it.
        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
        ~~Groucho Marx
        I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

My freshman Lit class was reading this book when Three Mile Island happended. Living about 150 miles from the reactor, this gave a new spin on the book as we were covering it.
          "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Originally posted by comfortably numb
            The auto racing scenes, to a racing fan, will seem ridiculous to the point of being hysterical given the mixed venues and makes of cars.

An example of why bother filming scenes when we have all these reels of race footage we can use.

I think there was much of Riverside in it.

Last days on earth, and they are going to worry about classes of cars?

Comment

Absolutely.
              There is a sub-plot where two sanctioning bodies are at war with one another. (I think this provokes the potential holocaust. ) Anyway, Gregory Peck races time to mediate the dispute before the world comes to an end.
              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
              ~~Groucho Marx
              I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

man i have got to learn how to spell

Originally posted by NoviVespa
                On Turner Classic Movies tonight is a movie that is not very often seen on TV. It is "On The Beach," a story about the end of the world due to radiation contamination. This movie has some auto racing scenes which is part of the movie. I think it has Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, and Fred Astaire as the race car driver.

It will be on tonight, Feb. 27, 2008 and 8 p.m. (eastern time).

Especially good movie if you like the song, "Waltzing Matilda."
                Thanks for the heads up. Great movie. If you are bodred i reccomend " alas babylon " not sure who wrote it.
                Last edited by XR1000; 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
                PAY NO MORE.
                Be there or be square.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa
                  Last days on earth, and they are going to worry about classes of cars?
                  In fact, the book explains this quite well. No entry limits of any kind. No rules of any kind, Literally "run what ya brung" as fast as you can, and if you happen to crash and die, well, at least the radiation won't get you.

The book's not so blunt about it, but that's the gist.
                  "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                  --Danny Noonan

Comment

Quite the thought provoking movie at the time of its release, what with some homeowners adding and stocking bomb shelters and considering the nuclear arms race with USSR was in full bore. I was on active duty in the Navy at the time and our ship's officers were advised not to attend showings while in uniform. Having admired the acting and other many qualities ( ) of Ava Gardner since my early years, and being a big Gregory Peck fan, I quite enjoyed it. Still enjoy encore presentations from time to time.
                    Marv Fish

Comment

I have it on DVD. A great movie, but also very sad.
                      "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X