X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPC / ERTL Indianapolis 500 Hall of Fame model kit 1/25 scale

Got this as a gift from my mom and my brother yesterday:

20200628_074259.jpg

All the parts ate sealed in the original bags, all the decals and instructions are like brand new.

Should I build it or keep it as is?

Let the grandsons build them?

I think I may need to enhance my investment:
    https://www.indycals.net/parts/indyp...29upgrade.html
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Now that is a cool set. A model of the museum would be cool too, although that wouldn’t be too hard to scratch build.

to answer your question, to build depends on your frame of mind and your building skills. The roadster should be the easiest to do and looks pretty nice. The McLaren I have built several and some parts don’t align so well with that one... the lotus I am not familiar with the build although I built the Jimmy clark 83 back when I was a kit mainly because I loved the twin cam ford engine visible in the back end of that car.

if you’re comfortable I suggest you build them. Especially as we may get locked down again and model building is a great way to challenge the mind and manual skills while being “distant”.
    No signature required

Comment

I am definitely thinking of doing a "diorama" background, of sorts, by printing out a photo of the museum on a cardboard backing.

I want to get the grandsons involved at some level they're 8 and 9, almost 10 now).

My first models were James Bond's car and the Monkees car (1965 ~ 1966), so I was 8 or 9.
      "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

My parents gave my brother and I each this set 25-30ish years ago, Sadly they did not get assembled, or preserved, in any meaningful way. Haven't seen any remnants of them in years.

I remember noting, and pointing out to my dad, that the Lotus was offset which was a surprise to me. I was only about 10-12 and growing up watching symmetrical 80'-90's Indycars vs. 'sidewinder' super mods I never considered left side weight in the early rear engine cars or the roadsters before them.
        "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

The thing about model building is it comes to how picky you are.
          Most Indycar models from the major manufacturers are inherently “inaccurate” or for a better term, clumsy.
          There are plenty of sources for parts that are more accurate and fit better, but they can run up the price of your build.
          With some cleanup work the kits as they come can yield good results, the key is to work in segments and take your time.
          Michael’s Indycals is a great site, parts and links as well as wonderful decals.
          I think I have two of the HOF kits on the shelf and have built a few over the years.
          Take a shot at building what you have, they come out pretty nice especially if you take your time with paint/decals.
          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Check out indycals.net . They have lots of aftermarket decals an even 3d printed pieces for a lot of the indycar and f1 kits.
            I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
            Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X